cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Permission Denied - Access Denied - Can't Sync - After clean Windows 10 reinstall

Permission Denied - Access Denied - Can't Sync - After clean Windows 10 reinstall

Nealji
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

My Dropbox icon on the taskbar states it is 'Indexing 4 files... Cant Sync ....jpg (access denied). I'd either like to sync those files or delete them. I can't find those file doing a search on my hard drive or my phone.

How do I do that?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Elixir
Super User
Go to solution
I noticed this happens to me sometimes when one/some of the files are being used/opened by a program, and some modifications to those files are made from another device/web. You may try closing the programs which might be using files in your dropbox folder, and it should complete the sync. You may also try restarting dropbox/computer if that is not a big issue.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Have you restarted Dropbox to see if it can re-index and continue syncing? If a simple restart doesn't fix it, then refer to the following help article:

Elixir
Super User
Go to solution
I noticed this happens to me sometimes when one/some of the files are being used/opened by a program, and some modifications to those files are made from another device/web. You may try closing the programs which might be using files in your dropbox folder, and it should complete the sync. You may also try restarting dropbox/computer if that is not a big issue.

JimSTX
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

sorry.  This isn't what's happening.  Try again.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @JimSTX

Welcome to the Dropbox Community!

I'd be more than happy to help. 

To have a better understanding of what you're seeing though, I'll need a bit more info, such as:

• What is the Dropbox icon on your system tray or menu bar showing when you hover over it? 
  • Are you seeing any errors? If so, a screenshot (without any personal info) would be very helpful. 

Any additional details on this would be greatly appreciated. 

Let me know what you find!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

JimSTX
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Short answer: I've been working on a document that I needed to transfer from one computer to another, so I could print it.  (Windows 10 trashed my home network and I haven't figured out how to restore it yet.)  I put the doc in Dropbox, went to the other computer, printed it, found an error, went back to the first computer to fix it, then came back to the second computer.  The new version wasn't in Dropbox there, though the old one was.  I checked Dropbox online and found the new version had replaced the old.  I checked the Dropbox icon in the lower right corner of the screen and found a blue circle with a line through it that said I did not have permission to download it.  WTF?  I ultimately rebooted the second computer to clear and reload Dropbox.  No change until I right-clicked the document and asked it to sync.  It finally did.  I have automatic sync turned on on this computer, so that should not have happened.

This is the third time I've had trouble with Dropbox failing to download items, though it's the first time I've been denied permission.  No, the document was NOT in use by another program.  Thus my message.

-- Jim

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the additional information and sorry to hear about the frustration this has caused, @JimSTX

At first, since you mention that you had to right-click and select it to sync, could the file have been Smart Synced as online-only?

If so, please bear in mind that the option to set your files to be online only allows you to save hard drive space by marking content as online-only instead of local. That way, the files take up minuscule amounts of space as only the name, location, and date the file was updated are downloaded. 

However, I do want to help troubleshoot this behavior, so if it does occur again, please don't hesitate to nudge me and send me a screenshot (without any personal info) of the relevant icon and error message.

In the meantime, let me know if you have any other questions and I'll make sure to get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

JimSTX
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

No, it was not Smart-synced.  It was set to local.  These are my desktop computers with lots of storage.  I rarely use smart-sync, except on my smallest laptop; I use selective sync instead.  But I know how to check for smart-sync and that wasn't the problem.  It was a permission problem.  That's what the message said when I held the mouse over the dropbox icon.

-- Jim

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for confirming that for me, @JimSTX

In that case, if the error does occur again or if you're able to replicate this behavior, please don't hesitate to get back to me with a screenshot (without any personal info) of what you're seeing. 

Nonetheless, give me a shout if you have any other questions. Cheers!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lusil Dropbox Staff
    JimSTX Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?