cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Permission error

Permission error

tiger4
Helpful | Level 5

My computer previously belonged to my husband and although we thought everything was removed before I took over I can't open dropbox as it says there is a permission error.

bn.BUILD_KEY: Dropbox
bn.VERSION: 112.4.321
bn.constants.WINDOWS_SHELL_EXT_VERSION: 46
bn.is_frozen: True
machine_id: 78099f8d-26ea-5491-978b-d1c0c3394123
pid: 1398
ppid: 1
uid: 502
user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='florenceaitchison', pw_passwd='********', pw_uid=502, pw_gid=20, pw_gecos='Florence Aitchison', pw_dir='/Users/florenceaitchison', pw_shell='/bin/bash')
effective_user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='florenceaitchison', pw_passwd='********', pw_uid=502, pw_gid=20, pw_gecos='Florence Aitchison', pw_dir='/Users/florenceaitchison', pw_shell='/bin/bash')
euid: 502
gid: 20
egid: 20
group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='staff', gr_passwd='*', gr_gid=20, gr_mem=['root'])
effective_group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='staff', gr_passwd='*', gr_gid=20, gr_mem=['root'])
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH: None
cwd: '/'
real_path='/'
mode=0o40755 uid=0 gid=80
parent mode=0o40755 uid=0 gid=80
HOME: '/Users/florenceaitchison'
appdata: '/Users/grahamaitchison/.dropbox/instance1'
real_path='/Users/grahamaitchison/.dropbox/instance1'
not found
parent not found
dropbox_path: '/Users/grahamaitchison/Dropbox'
real_path='/Users/grahamaitchison/Dropbox'
not found
parent not found
sys_executable: '/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox'
real_path='/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox'
mode=0o100755 uid=502 gid=20
parent mode=0o40755 uid=502 gid=20
trace.__file__: '/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Resources/python-packages.zip/dropbox/client/ui/common/boot_error.pyc'
real_path='/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Resources/python-packages.zip/dropbox/client/ui/common/boot_error.pyc'
not found
parent not found
tempdir: '/var/folders/_y/089hmnts1wbg94k3v6vmwqc00000gp/T'
real_path='/private/var/folders/_y/089hmnts1wbg94k3v6vmwqc00000gp/T'
mode=0o40700 uid=502 gid=20
parent mode=0o40755 uid=502 gid=20
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 1264, in safe_makedirs
File "os.pyc", line 213, in makedirs
File "os.pyc", line 223, in makedirs
PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/Users/grahamaitchison'

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 7784, in main_startup
File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 2954, in run
File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 1710, in startup_low
File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 1291, in safe_makedirs
File "os.pyc", line 223, in makedirs
PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/Users/grahamaitchison'

Below is what I found on the forum, but not being very tech savey I cant work out what it is saying to do. What is the TERMINAL?

Copy and paste the following line into the Terminal as it is (as getting it wrong could cause some harm) and press entersudo mv ~/.dropbox ~/.Trash/dropbox.old

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Permission error

tiger4
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Walter, bought the app ( the only way to actually use it) but it didn't fix the problem. Cleaned out a few unwanted (unknown caches) but apart from that nothing. After about another couple more hours searching my husband found a burried Dropbox extension, which he removed. we then uninstalled the Dropbox, again, shutdown the computer then went back to the beginning and re-installed Dropbox. Seems to be working OK.

Thanks for trying to help. 

Cheers

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Walter
Dropboxer

Hey there @tiger4; welcome to our Community!

I found this resource which should help in this case.

Could you take a look and let me know if you're still having issues with this? 

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

tiger4
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Walter, bought the app ( the only way to actually use it) but it didn't fix the problem. Cleaned out a few unwanted (unknown caches) but apart from that nothing. After about another couple more hours searching my husband found a burried Dropbox extension, which he removed. we then uninstalled the Dropbox, again, shutdown the computer then went back to the beginning and re-installed Dropbox. Seems to be working OK.

Thanks for trying to help. 

Cheers

View solution in original post

franklinjosh897
Explorer | Level 4

I saw the same error message and had the same issue where Dropbox wouldn't start on my laptop so I couldn't access the hidden Fix Permissions feature. I tried fixing the permissions manually with Terminal. I also tried uninstalling and installing. I also tried removing the .dropbox folder in my root folder. Nothing worked.

Finally, unlinking and relinking my laptop remotely via the Dropbox website fixed it. When I started Dropbox again, I signed in and my Dropbox folder started syncing again. Article on Dropbox's help site walks through the steps and   if the Dropbox location has changed.

Good luck!

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?