cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Persistent Folder Icon In System Tray

Persistent Folder Icon In System Tray

Kevin M.45
New member | Level 1

I am posting to this forum because the contact us form would not allow me to type even a single character in the box for description of issue.

There has been a Dropbox Folder in the System Tray of my Taskbar (lower right to the left of everything).  I have tried everything through settings to get it to go away and it persists.  I have now uninstalled Dropbox and the folder icon STILL remains where it is.  Clicking it gives the expected error that it is no longer there.  How can I get rid of the folder once and for all?

Thank you.

Frustrated Kevin

6 Replies 6

Re: Persistent Folder Icon In System Tray

Rich
Super User II

Dropbox doesn't place a folder icon in the system tray, only the Dropbox icon. If you've uninstalled Dropbox and the icon persists, then it's likely not caused by Dropbox.

Kevin M.45
New member | Level 1

I don't know if Dropbox is responsible or not but the fact remains that it persists and I want to get rid of it.  I f it is a Windows 10 issue, I need some good advice because I have tried every possible angle I can think of using Windows settings.  I uninstalled it using a very good and paid piece of software that gets rid of any and all files that remain after uninstalling and even it couldn't remove the folder in the tray.

Rich
Super User II

even it couldn't remove the folder in the tray.

Because it probably wasn't created by Dropbox, so uninstalling Dropbox (even using a third-party utility) wouldn't have an affect on it.

Take a screenshot of it please.

Kevin M.45
New member | Level 1

Rich
Super User II

That's not in your system tray. It's a toolbar that you added to the task bar (Dropbox doesn't add that). Right-click any blank space on your task bar and go to Toolbars. Uncheck the one for Dropbox.

Kevin M.45
New member | Level 1

the default 3 toolbars are all that is there, no dropbox toolbar.  the only toolbar checked is the desktop toolbar

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Kevin M.45 New member | Level 1
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?