cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please Help: Renaming a folder causes duplicates

Please Help: Renaming a folder causes duplicates

Dario Valiant C
New member | Level 1

Hello,
I'm experiencing a very disturbing issue with my dropbox (I have a premium account). I have 2x computers at home linked to my dropbox account, fully synching all dropbox folders; here is the unexpected behavior, just tested now again with both computers up and running in LAN:

1) I have a folder (with 50k images) called "Images 2007-2014", fully synched between the 2 computers
2) On computer A, I rename the folder to "Images 2007-2015", and it gets the sync icon as it's expected, indexing the 50k files
3) On computer B, I see the old "Images 2007-2014" remaining there, and a new folder called "Images 2007-2015" appearing
3b) On the web gui, I also see this folder duplicated -one with the old name -2014, and one with the new name -2015
4) Computer A synchs the folder fine, but then realizes that the computer B and the Web still keep the old "Images 2007-2014", and then it downloads it again

Now, I just wanted to rename one folder, but now I have 2: one with the old name, one with the new one. Exact same content, but of course this is absolutely a miserable situation, as it had to re-upload again all files, which takes forever and it's definitely a non-expected scenario.

Has anyone experienced this? Do you have any idea of how to fix it?

Thanks,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Please Help: Renaming a folder causes duplicates

Dario Valiant C
New member | Level 1

Replying to my own thread: this is not an issue, the duplicated "old" folder disappeared after a few hours, once the re-indexing after the renaming was complete.

Thanks

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Dario Valiant C
New member | Level 1

Replying to my own thread: this is not an issue, the duplicated "old" folder disappeared after a few hours, once the re-indexing after the renaming was complete.

Thanks

Marcel V.1
Helpful | Level 5

Please raise your hand if you think this is a catastrophically serious issue with Dropbox.

If I rename a folder locally in OS X Terminal, like:

~/Dropbox>mv somefolder anotherfolder

and somefolder contains three billion two hundred million and seventeen files, then Dropbox will do the following operations for the next three weeks on all your eleven linked machines:

(1) remove all somefolder/*

(2) upload all anotherfolder/*

[Content removed by moderator]

Please join me in raising awareness of this issue and hopefully forcing Dropbox to re-implement the folder rename feature, which is catastrophically broken at the moment.

Thank you,

Marcel Vladescu

Rich
Super User II

Marcel,

I've removed the entire middle portion of your post. It served no purpose and couldn't be easily edited to something cleaner due to all the profanity. Please refrain from using such language here. If it continues, your posts could be deleted and/or your account suspended. Thank you.

Regarding the duplicate folder issue, your best bet will be to contact Support and have them take a look at your account.

Open your ticket here: https://www.dropbox.com/support
Track your ticket here: https://dropbox.zendesk.com

Replies take approximately 1 - 3 business days with Pro users getting priority (longer for Basic users).

Chaplins F.
New member | Level 1

I have a folder for Pricelists on dropbox and yesterday I renamed it adding a note on the folder, today I have two folders, one saying Pricelists and the 2nd the one I renamed.Today I have added information to the renamed and it is not showing in the old folder. I need to delete one of these, will this cause both to be deleted ?  I am not sure how to solve the problem as 8 other people use these pricelists and I have to update one of these daily 

Thank You 

Loretta

Jo-Ann H.
New member | Level 1

When I read name of file a duplicate is created. How do I keep this from happening?

HPapa
New member | Level 2

After renaming your file refresh your browser screen. This should make the newly named file the only one showing.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Ask a Question section here.]

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

HPapa New member | Level 2
    Jo-Ann H. New member | Level 1
    Chaplins F. New member | Level 1
    Rich Super User II
    Marcel V.1 Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?