Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please Re-install Dropbox to Fix All Your Syncing Icons error message after Windows re-installation.

reafuness
Explorer | Level 3

Good evening everyone!  Earlier this week I had to do a "Fresh Start" install of Windows 10.  With the Fresh Start option you get a clean install of Windows but without loosing your files.  I've been spending the week reinstalling and removing software I don't use anymore, when it comes to dropbox though, I keep getting the "Please Reinstall Dropbox to fix all your syncing icons" message, without anything actually syncing.  I know I'm not the only one with this problem . What can I do to fix this? I need dropbox for work so it is important that I get things running again!  Thanks in advance for any help. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Fresh Start New Problems

pzg
Helpful | Level 6

I'm afraid this did not work for me. However, I found a video on youtube that solved the problem: the icon overlay of OneDrive was taking priority over Dropbox. This is done by having the icon overlays listed on top in the relevant Registry section by preceding the entry with empty spaces. Here's how it looked like before the correction:

before.JPGBefore - Dropbox on bottom

So, while the installation of Dropbox adds spaces, it looks like OneDrive one-upped them this time by adding even more spaces.

1) I removed the prefix spaces from OneDrive,

2) added some prefix spaces to Dropbox, and

3) restarted.

4) Dropbox icon overlays now show up.

Here's how the entry looked like after the correction:

after.JPGAfter - Dropbox on top

Here's the video on how to carry out the correction:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aVbbcvHMpo

(PS: It's usually not recommended to modify your Registry, but in this case, it was the only solution. Please be sure to backup your Registry before making any changes)

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Super User
Super User

Hi @reafuness, Can you please try downloading the Offiline installer https://www.dropbox.com/downloading?plat=win&type=full and run the installer by right clicking and selecting Run as Administrator?

reafuness
Explorer | Level 3

Still getting the error and it seems to be indexing my files up to December.

dberror.png

Super User II
Super User II
Have you done what was requested in that other thread and lodged a ticket reafuness?

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

reafuness
Explorer | Level 3

I've done everything listed in the other thread and was about to write a support ticket.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey reafuness, thanks a lot for your cooperation & writing in to us. I’m just updating this thread on the solution that worked for you, in case someone else experiences the same issue!

#1. As a first step, my colleague advised clearing your Dropbox cache folder locally on your device. 
#2. Following, you should reinstall the application to attempt to fix this issue.
  • Stop Dropbox (If needed) by clicking the Dropbox icon in the system tray at the bottom of your screen. >Click on the  icon in the Notifications panel and select "Quit Dropbox".
  • Uninstall Dropbox: [Note: If Dropbox was installed by a Windows administrator in Program Files, you will need admin permissions to remove the application.]> Click on the Start button on the bottom left of your screen, and select "Control Panel" (7), or type Control Panel at the Start screen or start menu, and click on it (10, 8 ).> Click "Uninstall a Program". >Select Dropbox from the list of programs and click "Uninstall".
  • When the uninstall finishes, reboot your computer. This will make sure the uninstall is complete.
  • Download and install the newest version of Dropbox here: https://www.dropbox.com/downloading 
Please don’t hesitate to reach back out to us here in case you have further inquiries; it’ll be a pleasure working with you again in the future. Until then, take care & enjoy your day!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

pzg
Helpful | Level 6

I'm afraid this did not work for me. However, I found a video on youtube that solved the problem: the icon overlay of OneDrive was taking priority over Dropbox. This is done by having the icon overlays listed on top in the relevant Registry section by preceding the entry with empty spaces. Here's how it looked like before the correction:

before.JPGBefore - Dropbox on bottom

So, while the installation of Dropbox adds spaces, it looks like OneDrive one-upped them this time by adding even more spaces.

1) I removed the prefix spaces from OneDrive,

2) added some prefix spaces to Dropbox, and

3) restarted.

4) Dropbox icon overlays now show up.

Here's how the entry looked like after the correction:

after.JPGAfter - Dropbox on top

Here's the video on how to carry out the correction:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aVbbcvHMpo

(PS: It's usually not recommended to modify your Registry, but in this case, it was the only solution. Please be sure to backup your Registry before making any changes)

View solution in original post

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?