cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please bring back the familiar blue window system tray icon

Please bring back the familiar blue window system tray icon

Frog M.
New member | Level 1

Please revert to the previous Windows system tray icon the new white one is horrible

5 Replies 5

Re: Please bring back the familiar blue window system tray icon

Chris R.
Collaborator | Level 10

On Mac, it's changed from blue to black, but still horrible.

The number of users who have, and continue to, complain seems endless. Dropbox seem to have a selective 'deafness' about this issue.

Rich
Super User II

Dropbox seem to have a selective 'deafness' about this issue.

Do you blame them? Before the change there were just as many people crying to change the icon from blue to black so it matched all the other icons on a Mac. Now that they've made the change, the other crowd has started crying that they don't like it. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Personally, it's a icon, and part of the company brand. It's their choice what color it is. Do I prefer the blue, yes. Do I actually care, not really. People need to get over it and worry about more important features.

Just my $0.02.

Chris R.
Collaborator | Level 10

You've said it absolutely Rich. BLUE IS THEIR COMPANY BRAND. They've diluted their brand by this change. I personally don't remember a single complaint about the previous blue colour. It was the Dropbox icon; it was blue; it was easy to see; end of.

They've changed it - allegedly - because of Mac OS X Yosemite "guidelines". Well..
1. Those are only guidelines after all.
2. How does that affect me, who uses Snow Leopard? They could have spared the effort and left me alone.
3. How do Yosemite "guidelines" affect Windows and Linux users? Answer: they don't.

So you see, they didn't change because people "complained", they knuckled under to guidelines that are only guidelines, and changed their corporate brand for all users, not only of DB3 but also the previous DB2. No sense = nonsense.

Troye B.
New member | Level 1

I strongly agree with you !!! In my MS Windows system tray, I now have this sickly anemic looking little white icon which looks just like all the rest. Before, i could see at a glance whether Dropbox was running, it was so distinctive. Now i have to look two or three times to see whether it is actually there. Microsoft also went for this pathetic pale pastel and white color scheme in its new MS Office applications, which i find very hard to use and have actually gone back to an older version of Office (admittedly also because of some bugs). Please Dropbox, bring back the little blue box, it is your brand after all. No reason to let it fade into nothingness.

Gunars L.
Explorer | Level 4

Besides the box itself (I agree with all the comments above that the blue version was superior), months later, I still hate the shrunken badge.  I have to constantly squint to tell if the little circle changed from blue to a green check.  This used to be very visible and much more usable.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Gunars L. Explorer | Level 4
    Troye B. New member | Level 1
    Chris R. Collaborator | Level 10
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?