cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Please reinstall Dropbox to fix all your syncing icons!

Please reinstall Dropbox to fix all your syncing icons!

LoveMyslf
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

This has been an issue for a while now. It's an issue on both my Windows 10 devices. I have tried different solutions from this forum, without luck. I'm running version 50.4.71, from the offline installer. Before installing I even deleted all remaining files and folders from my AppData folder, but without results...

Udklip.JPG

28 Replies 28

vickispartypro
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am having the same issues and need help asap please.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Sorry to hear that @vickispartypro!

Could you try an advanced reinstall using the offline installer  of our latest stable build of the desktop app ( 54.4.90 just got out ) and let me know if you're still getting this message? 

Please keep me posted. Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Paul G.46
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Same issue here. Probably because I have Dropbox on another drive, not C. Is always messy to get it there nowadays. As the installer nowadays doesn't directly give the option to choose the Dropbox folder location (as it did formerly which was perfect). It directly brings up the selective sync option instead, no way (I saw) to get to the setting of the Dropbox location first. And as my 0,7TB dropbox files don't fit on my C system disk, I unselected all files on selective sync, installing basically an empty dropbox on C. Then I could access the client and set the dropbox location to the desired place. And then update the selective sync. Unnecessary cumbersome and in addition now there's this 'please reinstall issue'. I just freshly installed! The previous time I had to set up a new PC and get my Dropbox files I recall it was also an issue, wasted me 3 days then, at least now i could find the location change quite fast.  I don't understand why putting Dropbox in another location is not a question at the beginning of the install anymore and is made so troublesome. If my syncing icons seem OK I guess I'll not go and spend days to fix this error message.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey Paul (@Paul G.46), you should be able to pause the sync and move your Dropbox folder on the desired location - supposing it's on a supported format, or try using the "Advanced" option when re-installing our software

Let me know how this goes ( and perhaps share a screenshot of the error you get if you're still getting it) and in the meantime, I'm also passing your comments along to our dev team for future consideration - thank you for this feedback. 

Oh, and Happy Monday! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

karnerkreativ
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I got the same issue.
I had no more synch icons, reinstalled dropbox twice (normal installer and offline installer), nothing. Still get the message about reinstalling but no green check marks in the Explorer.dropbox.PNG

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @karnerkreativ, have you by any chance tried to follow Walter’s advice above? In other words, have you erased all previous permissions, so that you start anew? Also, have you installed Dropbox in the same drive as your OS or on a different location?

Please do let us know of these details, so as to make sure we’re following-up on the right thing. Thanks in advance!

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

karnerkreativ
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

See below.

I've removed the permissions for the PC that is affected. The dropbox folder is on another drive as it ist way too big to be stored on C. I then uninstalled the app, then reinstalled it with the default installer. No change. I uninstalled again and installed it with the offline installer. No change. I uninstalled again, deleted the Dropbox folder with my files, installed Dropbox again and let it synch all the files. No change.

I've had all the overlays until last week but as of today they are gone.

karnerkreativ
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hey, I'm good now! The problem was the ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers as you describe it here: https://help.dropbox.com/syncing-uploads/icon-overlays-not-appearing
I hadn't seen the "dropdown" for Windows when I was first reading that page. Windows must have updated something or whatever Dropbox ended up on rank 16 ...
That's really annoying digging around in the registry. 😞
Anyway, they are back.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks a lot for circling back to me with this feedback & keeping me updated on the progress @karnerkreativ!

I was glad to hear that it all works fine for you now & the issue with your overlay icons has been mended. As the behavior & the error message you received wasn’t fixed after resetting all previous permissions, I’ve made sure to Accept your last comment as the Best Answer, so as to surface to other users who may have the same question. 

Thanks again for your cooperation & valuable contribution to this discussion & please don’t hesitate to post us again on our Community in the future in case you have more thoughts or questions. Happy syncing :white_check_mark: & I hope you have a wonderful rest of your day ahead!

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

VictorH
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Same issue after I deleted Dropbox app and reinstalled 58.4.92 version... forever stuck in the indexing step 😞
Need more support?