cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please restore ability to sort a mix of folders and files alphabetically

MattSpringer
Explorer | Level 4

On iOS devices, I used to be able to see the contents of a Dropbox folder in alphabetical order, even if those contents were a mix of files and subfolders, just like in the Finder on a Mac.  At some point recently, this ability disappeared.  Now all of the folders are listed first, followed by all of the files.  This is frustrating because there are situations in which I don't necessary remember whether something in the list in in a subfolder or not, and just scanning down the contents alphabetically makes it obvious.  Please restore this sorting option, thanks.  See attached screen shots from Dropbox on my Mac and iOS devices, respectively.

On the mac, how I want itOn the mac, how I want itOn iPhone and iPad, not what I wantOn iPhone and iPad, not what I want

6 Replies 6

Re: Please restore ability to sort a mix of folders and files alphabetically

Lori
Dropboxer
Hello @MattSpringer, thanks for sharing this with us here!

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us regarding the sorting options given on the mobile app.

Would you mind letting me know a little more about the preferences that you would want to see and the platform you use more often? 

Keep me posted!

Lori
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

MattSpringer
Explorer | Level 4

The platform is sometimes going to the Dropbox folder on my Mac (using Catalina OS), where I can sort files and folders into a single alphabetical list as shown in the screen shot in the original post, but more often on my iPhone or iPad, which are up to date for iOS.  I'm not sure how else to describe the preferences; on the iPhone and iPad, I view the main Dropbox folder and any subfolders in list view, with viewing set "by name."  I don't see any other preferences to set.

Lori
Dropboxer
Hey @MattSpringer, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on this!

If you have anything else to add, feel free to let me know!

Thanks!

Lori
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

MattSpringer
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks, and just to elaborate on why this ability is important, look at these additional screen shots of one folder, a temporary folder in my recipe back-up in which some recipes are single files, and others have several files (like the text and a photo) together in a folder for that recipe.  Having the files and folders in one alphabetical list makes sense in this situation.  One screen shot shows the architecture in my Mac's Dropbox folder (with all recipes in sensible order regardless of whether they are files or folders), the other shows the view on my iPad (the part that fit on one screen) showing how this separation of folders and files jumbles up the order and is detrimental.

Screen Shot 2021-04-13 at 10.19.33 AM.pngIMG_1075.jpeg

Rich
Super User II

@MattSpringer wrote:

Counterpoint: Sorting files and folders together alphabetically is, in my opinion, a horrible way to work with files and folders. @Lori, it's perfect the way it is right now. If this ability is ever restored, PLEASE make it an optional sorting method.

MattSpringer
Explorer | Level 4

Optional is fine with me; the more flexibility to suit people's individual needs, the better.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

MattSpringer Explorer | Level 4
    Rich Super User II
    Lori Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?