cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to make our Community work for you and we need your help. Take our short survey!
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please revert the Pause Syncing functionality

Highlighted

Please revert the Pause Syncing functionality

Helpful | Level 6

I use the Pause Sync feature dozens of times a day - just clicking on the dropbox icon and clicking on the Pause Sync button. Nice and simple.

As of yesterday, my dropbox app now requires an additional click to confirm pausing, which is COMPLETELY unnecessary.  Now i have to choose a duration of time for how long I want the sync paused?!  It isn't intuitive at all.  Please change it back to a single-click action.

15 Replies 15
Highlighted

How to Pause Sync indefinitely in Windows Desktop App?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

This options always existed, but today it disappear. Is it a bug or something?

Highlighted

Re: How to Pause Sync indefinitely in Windows Desktop App?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Same here on a Mac! I edit many files using scripts, I don't want them constantly syncing while I'm working on them. This will create an issue on my side certainly.

Highlighted

Re: How to Pause Sync indefinitely in Windows Desktop App?

Explorer | Level 4

It's unfortunately not a bug! Pausing dropbox now requires 3 clicks of the mouse. The user now needs to know how long they want to pause dropbox for :( They've even updated their documentation regarding pausing.
https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/sync-uploads/pause-resume

Highlighted

Re: Please revert the Pause Syncing functionality

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I couldn't agree more - actually just submitted this as a support ticket a few days ago - I wasn't aware of the "Share an Idea" section until they replied. Here's what I wrote: 

The click behavior of the "Pause Syncing" button has changed to now require two clicks - can it go back to a single click, with a long press or double-click which pops up the new button with automatic re-syncing times?
I FREQUENTLY have to pause and un-pause syncing to prevent the drafting programs I use from breaking when working with files saved in Dropbox.
It now takes too long to click once on "Pause Syncing" and then again on "Until tomorrow" and keep repeating this process every 15-20 minutes. I cannot leave it on a timer, because if syncing were to resume automatically while working, the files I'm working with would instantly break and I would lose work.
Would it be possible to restore a single-click functionality to PAUSE syncing so as to not globally affect peoples' workflow? Happy to have new "features" like sync pause timers, but let's make that a double-click or long-press advanced option, instead of adding mouse clicks to what used to be a very straightforward toggle switch.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Screenshot 2020-09-15 140619.png
Currently there is a dropdown arrow next to the Pause Sync button.  It would be great if the option to include a timer only popped up when the mouse hovers over that arrow.  If the mouse presses anywhere else on the button, it should act like a single click option.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

+1. I am on a metered connection and pause syncing when I am at home and then sync when I get to the office. It's very expensive for me to sync at home. Please give back the option to pause indefinitely.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I agree!

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

I am dumbfounded by this change - not just the UI issues...but the fact that we cannot pause indefinitely? So now my option is to simply close Dropbox entirely, remove it from startup, and only use it when I want it to sync. Is this the intended design?

Please bring back indefinite pausing.

Thanks

Highlighted

Pause Sync Indefinitely no longer an option

Helpful | Level 5

I was surprised to unpause my syncing today...and then when attempting to pause again, I was given 3 options:

• 30 minutes
  • 1 hour
  • Until Tomorrow

There is no longer an option to pause sync indefinitely, aside from quitting the app entirely.

Is this really the design intention? I am removing it from my Windows Startup as a result. It may be time to find another syncing app if this is the direction Dropbox is going.

Please consider adding back the indefinite pause sync option.

Thanks,

Jeff

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?