cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Drop Box freezing windows 10

Possible conflict with Dropbox and Trend Micro (Dropbox freezing)

koltipelto
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have dropbox business, I will not say every computer, but half of the company's computers are crashing.

At first I thought it could be a driver, a virus, or even a windows 10 error. I got to format 2 of them, and still they keep crashing, they get frozen screen, I can not do anything, I have to force the physical button.

When I disable the dropbox, the computers work perfectly. All of them are running with the latest version 30.4.22.

46 Replies 46

DonnyGold
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
We run 5 business’s, retail, and connect vital data through Dropbox. All new high end towers windows 10 in each location. Constant crashing and/or screen freezing. Turned off Dropbox Sync, Autostart and Exited program. It’s been 24 hrs without any issue. We had to restart computers every 20-30 minutes before.

CodyzzZ
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have a similar issue on Windows 10 where whenever I open a dropbox URL it crashes my chrome browser, killing any opened tabs. Tried everything including clearing cache and turning off extensions, to no avail. Works fine on other browsers but I default to Chrome so it is quite annoying. Turned off selective sync as you suggested and dropbox URL on Chrome works fine now. Disappointed at dropbox, but big thanks for your help.

cmbcmbcmb
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Has anyone found more of a solution to this other than just disabling the selective sync feature?  This isn't an option for those of us with hard drives smaller than the dropbox storage.  For instance, we have well nearly 1 TB of data yet we're using Surface Pros with only 512 GB of storage.  Its almost sounding like we have no choice but just to either tolerate the crashes or give up using dropbox.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey cmbcmbcmb, thanks for posting on the Forum on this issue & welcome aboard!

I’d like to check back on the possible causes with you & we’ll take it from there, so as to send you the most relevant next troubleshooting steps. 

In order to follow-up with you as closely as possible, could you include some more details on the behavior you’re experiencing in your next reply?

• Firstly, are you running the latest Dropbox on your Surface (47.4.74)? 
  • I’d appreciate a step-by-step description of what’s happening in your next message (as well as any troubleshooting you’ve done on your own), so as to make sure to reproduce with you and check the results I’m getting.

Once I have this info, I’d happily analyze the case in more depth. Happy Friday & thanks again! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

cmbcmbcmb
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello.  Yes, I'm running the latest version (47.4.74).  

Troubleshooting... At first, I believed it to be a Windows isuse, so I re-installed Win 10.  Same issue immediately started occurring once I installed Dropbox and started using Selective Sync.  There's no way for me to not use that as I have a 512 GB Surface Pro but more than that much data in dropbox.  With Dropbox enabled, my machine is actively crashing to BSOD 1 to 2 times PER HOUR.  As soon as I exit dropbox/stop the service, no issues.  The only thing I can really do is leave Dropbox off until I'm going to head to bed, turn it on, and hope it gets the files backed up before crashing because each morning I come back to my machine, I have the BSOD reboot screen staring at me.  

Honestly, if there is no solution to this, which I haven't so far been able to find online, there's really no choice but to switch to an alternative cloud provider who's software doesn't crash on Win 10.  I already wasted 2+ days having to reformat and setup the machine, and, at the rate its going, its going to take a week or two to get the data back on my machine given its crashing any time I have Dropbox turned on.  I really like Dropbox, been using it for a while, but if its not realiable, its basically become useless.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for providing the additional details here cmbcmbcmb, I appreciate your ongoing cooperation & I understand that you’d like hands-on assistance from this point forward! 

I’d suggest continuing this discussion via email & for that reason I’ve made sure to create a Support Request on our system on your behalf, so as to focus on the issue in question & move forward together. Whenever you find some time, please check your inbox for my email & I’ll make sure to promptly follow-up with you from where we’ve left off here. 

Thanks again & I’m wishing you a wonderful week ahead! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

heimburg
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Wanted to add some info on this for the developers...

We're also experiencing freeze-ups with our business plan. We use selective sync and we have a very large number of files (a million or so). The crashes started a few months ago, and I'm not sure what the impetus was. It took a long time to figure out our different crashes on different machines were caused by dropbox.

Sometimes the mouse cursor (and the rest of the machine) will freeze up for a few seconds. And sometimes that freeze-up becomes permanent, requiring a hard-reboot to fix the crash.

Recently we've found that that reducing Max CPU Usage from 100% to 85% fixes the freeze ups. (This is an advanced Power Plan option -- in control panel, power options, edit the power plan, then Change advanced power settings, and find the Processor power management options.)

This workaround has fixed the problem on several machines, and I can't really fathom why. We're game developers so we have lots of hardware on hand, and we had this problem with both AMD and Intel CPUs, and several kinds of motherboards. (None overclocked, and mostly all new hardware.) So it seems unlikely to be a hardware-specific problem, but the crashes leave no obviously-useful information in the event log, so it doesn't seem like a driver is crashing either.

Can this info be passed along to the developers? This is a pretty severe bug, and I'm hoping we can offer a clue for them. Keeping our CPUs capped isn't a permanently viable answer, although it works for now.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for posting us here on the matter heimburg, I understand that you’d like some assistance on this matter, as this has been affecting your team & you’ve already done some troubleshooting on your own. 

I understand your concern & for that reason I’ve made sure to reach out to you directly via email (on the email address connected to your Forum profile), since this is an account-specific inquiry that needs to be addressed by a specialized team member via our Official Support channel. 

At your convenience, please check your inbox for my latest message and let me know here if you have any issues locating it. Once you get back to me, I’ll make sure to redirect your request to the appropriate team, who’ll answer any account-specific sensitive questions you may have.

Thanks again & I’ll be awaiting your next email, so as to move forward on the matter together. Welcome to our Forum! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Rob21
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

We are also having this problem with a couple of machines. They have the latest Win10 updates, latest hardware updates including BIOS.

If Dropbox is enabled for startup, the computer will freeze within a few minutes. If it is disabled, the computer performs as expected and then Dropbox can be started manually.

Thanks for the input heimburg - this provides more info on what we've seen and thanks to this thread I'll be checking selective sync on these computers.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey Rob21, thanks for posting us here regarding the issue you’ve experienced on your desktop, I’ll do my best to work with you towards a fix!

Of course, applying Selective sync for the content you’d like to keep on your account online (though don’t necessarily need locally) would be a great starting point, though I’d rather further advise after checking your account details. 

As I’d like to help you on the matter as much as possible, I’ve made sure to run a search on our system on my end, I’ve located your newest open ticket & I’ve made sure to reply to you there. This way, I’ll send you the most appropriate next steps based on the info I have on my tools & help you reach a resolution as quickly as possible. 

Whenever you find some time, please check your inbox for my email & I’ll make sure to promptly follow-up with you from where we’ve left off here. 

Thanks again & I’ll be awaiting your next email, so as to move forward on the matter together!

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?