cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Price increase for 'plus' account, quality decrease for syncing......

Price increase for 'plus' account, quality decrease for syncing......

Lieuwke
Explorer | Level 3

Been a dropbox user for years now, firstly a free account, then a 'sponsored' account and finaly i became a paying customer because i just liked the easy way it works, but most of all the stability. Googledrive, onedrive and a bunch of other clouddrive sollutions just didn't cut it. So i am greatly dissapointed now. I have no problem that there's a slight price increase, but please test the impact of an account upgrade before rolling out the forced update for everyone. I am now on 74.4.115 on Windows 10 and it's just not working anymore!!!! My work computer and my home computer both show the same problem. The dropbox icon stays on Starting... but is nog syncing anymore!! I tried installing, removing and re-installing the software on both systems, no luck. Why mess up a winning concept Dropbox? It was working just fine. Do an upgrade? No problem, but test it first! Now i have to log into the webpage everytime i need a file, this is just not practical. Please fix this, release the update and let me be happy with a working situation. Now i am paying more money for less.... no.... actually for nothing, because it doesn't work. 

6 Replies 6

Re: Price increase for 'plus' account, quality decrease for syncing......

Rich
Super User II

Your problem likely has nothing to do with the recent account upgrades. Such upgrades have no impact on how Dropbox functions, which hasn't changed.

Have you completed an advanced reinstall? There's more to it than simply uninstalling the application, and can often solve such problems. Basically, you remove all the files left behind where your settings and such are stored so that they're recreated when you reinstall.

Lieuwke
Explorer | Level 3

Hello Rich,

first of all, thank you for your swift reply. Allthough i'm a bit dissapointed by the first part of your answer.

@Rich wrote:

Your problem likely has nothing to do with the recent account upgrades. Such upgrades have no impact on how Dropbox functions, which hasn't changed.

Like i allready stated, everything was just fine untill the account upgrade. I haven't mentioned it, but i know a few people that have the exact same problem since the accounts changed and they also received the pop-up from the dropbox app to update the app.

Maybe the "advanced-reinstall" is going to fix things, but it's gonna cost time and effort. I'm paying for something, then Dropbox forces me to pay more and breaks everything. Now i have to fix a problem that i likely wouldn't have if the Smart-sync option was implemented correctly. Lets face it, it's quite obvious that this functionality is the cause of this problem, and also refutes your statement that "the way dropbox functions hasn't changed"

I don't want to be a jerk, but i jus want to ventilate my disappointment en displeasure. 

It's gonna cost me time, effort and unnecessary bandwidth on multiple locations. This i believe is very inappropriate for something that just should work like it was supposed to. I will see if i can find the time and mental energy to do the advanced reinstall. 

please note, i am grieved by the way Dropbox is handling it's loyal paying customer. I am certainly not barking at you and appreciate you want to help me!

Best regards,

Martin

Rich
Super User II

@Lieuwke wrote:

Now i have to fix a problem that i likely wouldn't have if the Smart-sync option was implemented correctly.

Smart Sync was implemented properly. Smart Sync has been in use for over two years. I've had it on my account for most of that time and have never had the issue you're referring to. The account upgrades couldn't have caused the problem you're having.

Lets face it, it's quite obvious that this functionality is the cause of this problem ...

Not obvious at all.

... and also refutes your statement that "the way dropbox functions hasn't changed"

It doesn't refute anything. As stated, Smart Sync has been in use for two years. It's not new functionality and hasn't changed recently.

... i jus want to ventilate my disappointment en displeasure.

Vent away, but you're directing your disappointment at the wrong cause.

The problem you're having is with the Dropbox app; NOT the new features. The new features and increased storage CANNOT cause the problem you're experiencing. A bad upgrade to the new version of the Dropbox app (which is separate from account upgrades) CAN cause such problems, as can Windows updates which change system files that Dropbox uses, as can antivirus and firewall updates which can prevent Dropbox from communicating, etc. There are many reasons why Dropbox could be stuck on Starting. Account upgrades are not one of them.

Give the Advanced Reinstall a chance when you have time. If that doesn't correct the issue, you'll need to contact Support so they can assist you further.

Lieuwke
Explorer | Level 3

Hello Rich,

lets me state it otherwise, since the account upgrade i received a notification that the app had to be updated. So i did on several machines. (and remember, i was nog the only one, some of my friends and co-workers happend to have the same experience)

I have updated the app many times over the past years. But now since the new account is released i also received the update notice. So i did update, and voila, it's broken. So in my experience it's caused by the accounts being upgraded. You say it's caused by a faulty app. Frankly i don't care. The app is also from Dropbox, without it i wouldn't be using dropbox at all. Well at the same time Dropbox updated they release the new app update and it broke everything. So it's related, maybe only by the release moment, but there IS a correlation between the two. 

I don't expect you to agree with me. But i also do not agree with you. If it was just one device, i would buy it. But multiple devices on multiple accounts at the same time the app has to be upgraded when the accounts are also switched? No way! 

Besides, if it is caused by the app being faulty updates or conflicting with a windows update or something, it is still not roght. The installer is from dropbox, so if tested correctly such problems would not have to happen. There are preliminary checks a installer can do before running such as check for incompatible (windows)updates or programs. That's no rocket sience. Now if something breaks after Dropbox works and then an update or other software is installed, Dropbox is not to blame. But it broke on their OWN package wich is updating the app. That is what i am complaining about.

best regards,

Martin

Rich
Super User II

Using your logic, the update would have been broken for everyone. If it was, this forum would be flooded with people posting the same issue and that's simply not the case.

If your advanced reinstall doesn't work, you'll need to contact Support directly.

Lieuwke
Explorer | Level 3

It must be something only people from the Netherlands experience then. I got it solved eventually. A co-worker had the same thing going on. He advised me to install dropbox on a clean system and sync everything once. Then deinstall dropbox and install onedrive and point to the previous synced dropbox directory. Let that sync and now do the same on your systems that aren't working anymore. And i'll be damned, i have again a working cloud storage sollution. I wasn't a big fan of onedrive in the past, so i never looked at it again. But they have come a long way improving things and if i still like it at the end of my trial subscription i think i'm better of paying for extra's that i do use instead of 2TB, Smart-sync, a broken synchronisation etc.

Thank you for your effort anyway, i'm sure it was well intended, but i can't afford losing a lot of time fixing other peoples bad software.

best regards,

Martin

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?