cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Print Screen still saves to Dropbox which is fine, but stopped saving to clipboard - how do I get both?

Print Screen still saves to Dropbox which is fine, but stopped saving to clipboard - how do I get both?

Tamar W.
New member | Level 2

Anyone know how to do this? I used to have both. Now, it only saves to Dropbox. If I have to choose one or the other, I would NOT choose Dropbox! Most screenshots I take are to be edited and are actionable today, not to be saved to the cloud for use later.

Is this a new version of Dropbox breaking the UX?! I'm so frustrated by this.

14 Replies 14

Re: Print Screen still saves to Dropbox which is fine, but stopped saving to clipboard - how do I get both?

Flávio M.1
New member | Level 1

I started facing the same issue since yesterday and I feel very frustrated.

I also prefer the clipboard instead of saving to Dropbox, if I had to choose one.

Re: Print Screen still saves to Dropbox which is fine, but stopped saving to clipboard - how do I get both?

Tamar W.
New member | Level 2

I'm waiting for Dropbox to tell me how to roll back to the old version of Dropbox. They told me the solution is to press Ctrl+PrintScreen, but NOPE, that doesn't work.

Honestly, this "minor" change for them is so egregious to me that I'm considering moving off Dropbox and considering the competition.

Rich
Super User II

They told me the solution is to press Ctrl+PrintScreen, but NOPE, that doesn't work.

That puts a share link to the screenshot you just took on your clipboard; not the screenshot itself. Disabling the Dropbox screenshot feature in preferences will allow you to capture them to your clipboard once again.

Tamar W.
New member | Level 2

Right, thanks Rich - they misunderstood me. Sadly, that's not what I want. I want both.

Let's think logically what PrintScreen does without Dropbox functionality. It saves the image to your clipboard. Not a link. The image. The whole 64 bit (I'm guessing here) image. 

Now, until yesterday, I hit PrintScreen and the image would go to the Screenshots folder AND to the clipboard. Not one. But both. 

PrintScreen, again, has a default purpose of taking a screen capture of your desktop and storing that exact capture to your computer's clipboard. 

So, why would Dropbox think I would want to remove the default purpose of the button?! What kind of backward product decision is it?

Dropbox is intended to enhance the functionality of storing files. It is supposed to add things, not take defaults away. And yet, this is exactly what happened.

I am so incredibly frustrated by this decision. I genuinely hope it was a bug. Why do I want an old clipboard item I forgot about already tied to my clipboard? This is so backward. 

Gerard R.
New member | Level 1

Tamar W.
New member | Level 2

Thanks Gerard - it took a detailed screencast to explain what the issue was, as if support had no idea! But I'm glad it's being addressed.

Matthew B.29
New member | Level 1

Having the same issue.  Experiencing the same frustration. Wanting the same result. Thought it was abused system syndrome. Glad that I am not the only one.  Hope they fix it soon.  Now I have to turn off sharing to have it in the clipboard.  Fix it soon, please.

Rich
Super User II

Andrew M.66
New member | Level 1

Dropbox is not updating on its own to fix this.  Suggestions?

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Tamar W. New member | Level 2
    Jose P.11 New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?