cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem Downloading Large File

Problem Downloading Large File

Richard T.21
Helpful | Level 5

I have a large file (100GB) on Dropbox for which I've sent a link for a third party to download. That party has a professional optical fiber connection (1 giga).  The party has advised that the file never finishes the download. He's used several computers and tried a number of times with no success. To avoid any confusion, he's not trying to download a zip of the file or anything like that, just the file I uploaded.

Is there any reason this will not work?

Thanks in advance.

10 Replies 10

Alexis G.1
Super User

There are a number of file transfer services that efficiently handle large files.

But this special services use architecture, platform and transport technology normally designed for big companies like ESPN, TV News, Big CAD corporates, etc. are really expensive.

Signiant and Aspera both offer, for example, such services, but there are a plethora of others.

Agree, but the service is expensive.

They seem to use a locally downloaded app to run and manage the download.

Yes. They use special protocols, software, platform and architecture.

With the technology Dropbox already has in its synch app, I would think that it would be reasonably easy to adapt this to work as a separate app that simply downloads to a local folder. 

Dropbox was not designed for regular transfer of very big files. It's just a sync app using regular http.

I believe having this as an option would increase the number of people paying to use the service (as senders). 

In my personal opinion, this is not the main business focus of Dropbox.

I upgraded to get such a service (being able to send large files).

http (and even ftp) is not designed for this task. It's impractical.

You must pick an special technology solution like Aspera, I think.

I already had enough storage space to handle sending smaller files via my Dropbox. 

But Dropbox was not designed for transfering 100Gb files via link. http/ftp are not reliable for that (and DB don't have ftp)

Overall I am disappointed that I wasn't told before paying that the service was not suitable for transferring files above a couple of GB in size.

Do you ask support before your purchase? Technology have their limitations. I really sorry Dropbox don't solve your requirement. I believe is now clear for you and you can then pick up the right service as you explained in your previous post. It's clear you need an special requirement (or use any of the workarounds suggested - split in chunks)

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Alexis G.1 Super User
    Richard T.21 Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?