cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem backing up Dropbox with SyncToy

Problem backing up Dropbox with SyncToy

xtek
Explorer | Level 3

I have used Microsoft SyncToy for years to backup my Dropbox files. Lately I have been getting a single Overwrite error after backing up that states "The source file has been modified during the synchronization process. Item changed unexpectedly during synchronization. Copying D:\Dropbox.cache\marker_file to M:\Dropbox sync\.dropbox.cache\marker_file". So the only file that is not syncing is the marker_file and SyncToy reports that there are 0 bytes to copy. I run this backup with no programs running on Windows 10 so I don't understand why all of a sudden it is syncing my entire Dropbox but is reporting a error with this one mysterious file.

8 Replies 8

Problem backing up Dropbox with Microsoft SyncToy

xtek
Explorer | Level 3

I have used Microsoft SyncToy for years to backup my Dropbox files. Lately I have been getting a single Overwrite error after backing up that states "The source file has been modified during the synchronization process. Item changed unexpectedly during synchronization. Copying D:\Dropbox.cache\marker_file to M:\Dropbox sync\.dropbox.cache\marker_file". So the only file that is not syncing is the marker_file and SyncToy reports that there are 0 bytes to copy. I run this backup with no programs running on Windows 10 so I don't understand why all of a sudden it is syncing my entire Dropbox but is reporting a error with this one mysterious file.

Re: Problem backing up Dropbox with SyncToy

Walter
Dropboxer
Hi @xtek; welcome to our Community and happy Monday!

Can you please walk us through the exact steps that lead to this error and, if possible, send us a screenshot as well?

Thanks so much!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

xtek
Explorer | Level 3

Hello Walter,

Thank you for reaching out. As far as what I do, I simply open up SyncToy and select "Run All". After the sync process is complete, I get the message. I have 9 folder pairs I am syncing. The Run All is for All Folder Pairs. I have done this procedure hundreds of times before with no errors. I have attached three screen captures showing the initial error message and the actual error message (took two shots since the description was so wide). Is it safe to delete the Dropbox cache? Or perhaps just the marker_file? Does the cache regenerate after deletion? Sometimes after resyncing I can get by without an error. But most times I get the single error. Note that it always involves the marker_file and it appears like there is 0 bytes to copy. Also note that when I run SyncToy, no other program is running.

Thanks,

Pat IMG_0215.jpgIMG_0173.jpgIMG_0175 (1).jpg

Walter
Dropboxer
Thanks for the additional information @xtek; much appreciated!

I'm not sure if deleting the cache folder would improve matters, but could you try fixing your hard-links and permissions using these steps and let me know if you notice any difference? 

While we're at it, are you ensuring that our desktop app is 'up to date' and not still syncing in your system tray before you try this process via SyncToy? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

xtek
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Walter,

I am not sure what you are saying here..."While we're at it, are you ensuring that our desktop app is 'up to date' and not still syncing in your system tray before you try this process via SyncToy?"  Can you be more specific? How do I confirm Dropbox is up to date? What going on with the system tray?

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hi @xtek, you can check if the desktop app is up to date by hovering over or clicking on the Dropbox icon that's on the system tray. 

Could you have a look and let us know what you find?

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

xtek
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Lusil,

I confirmed that Dropbox is up to date. I think I also cleared up my issue by deleting the marker file. I have not gotten the error since. I will watch this and let you know if it changes but for now, SyncToy is working fine.

Thanks,

Pat

Lusil
Dropboxer
No worries, @xtek, thanks for keeping us in the loop!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lusil Dropboxer
    xtek Explorer | Level 3
    Walter Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?