cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem in installation of dropbox app in MacBook after changing username

Problem in installation of dropbox app in MacBook after changing username

isko1983
Helpful | Level 5

I got a new Macbook recently. I provided a username for the laptop and installed all my apps including dropbox. Eventually, I opted to alter my username to a more simple one. I had problems in syncing my dropbox files after the change in the username. I uninstalled my dropbox app and tried to install it again. Unfortunately, I encountered an error and the dialog box below pops up. Checking the link shows that the old username is still there in the dropbox path. How can I alter the username in the dropbox path?

Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 11.45.30 AM.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Problem in installation of dropbox app in MacBook after changing username

isko1983
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Walter,

Thank you very much for the reply

I clicked on the hyperlinked "here" but I got "Access Denied. You do not have sufficient privileges for this resource or its parent to perform this action."

I encountered the "advanced re-install option" when I was shopping for solutions to my problem. Steps 2 and 3 seem to be key steps in addressing my concern; Unfortunately, I cannot implement the instructions to achieve the altered the path.

I explored my "creative" solution. 

1/ I created another user in my MacBook

2/ I downloaded the Dropbox App in the new user's account

3/ After establishing that everything is working, I deleted the old user. 

Got the result that I need.

isko1983

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Walter
Dropboxer

Hey @isko1983; welcome to our Community!

I'm assuming the error log contains an error similar to the one mentioned here. You can obtain this by clicking on the blue hypertext within the error message you got. 

In any case, can you perform a clean, advanced re-install and let us know how it goes?

Thanks so much!

[EDIT: I amended the link above and should be working now.]

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

236Lincoln
Explorer | Level 3
Dropbox app will not install on Mac with Big Sur
Have been communicating with dropbox for way over a week regarding install of Blue Dropbox App and many many hours and they have had me submit screenshots, screen shares etc etc
Then basically they have given up on a solution for mac users to access “File Explorer “ option.
I contacted Apple to find out the problem is a conflict with new security in BigSur
I am currently going thru backing up Mac, then formatting it, then with their help, installing Catalina again

Not an easy solution, but i need the additional options available in file explorer that Finder does not offer.

Dropbox tech wasted a lot of my time and had me repeat my concerns and situation way too many times.
They didn't seem to validate my concerns, and instead tried to convince me that Finder view would suffice.

They never mentioned about the OS as evidently dropbox is not aware of the reason the app is not working on latest OS update for MAC
Hope this helps other Dropbox Users
Would really like to know how other users handle their install issue and esp if anyone comes up with a simpler solution.
Would love it if Dropbox would notify us if/when the problem is resolved
Im afraid to ever update again

isko1983
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Walter,

Thank you very much for the reply

I clicked on the hyperlinked "here" but I got "Access Denied. You do not have sufficient privileges for this resource or its parent to perform this action."

I encountered the "advanced re-install option" when I was shopping for solutions to my problem. Steps 2 and 3 seem to be key steps in addressing my concern; Unfortunately, I cannot implement the instructions to achieve the altered the path.

I explored my "creative" solution. 

1/ I created another user in my MacBook

2/ I downloaded the Dropbox App in the new user's account

3/ After establishing that everything is working, I deleted the old user. 

Got the result that I need.

isko1983

View solution in original post

isko1983
Helpful | Level 5

MacBook user here. My experience with macOS Big Sur ver 11.2: No problem installing the Dropbox App.

236Lincoln
Explorer | Level 3
You were able to install and USE the blue app? Wow
Did you click on it and get it to work?
Mine would not work after it looked like it installed.

isko1983
Helpful | Level 5

Yes. It's working perfectly.

236Lincoln
Explorer | Level 3
Thank you
Maybe I’m on wrong track
I’m desperate to get back to using my Mac
Will update later
Hope I’m not going through this reinstall for nothing

isko1983
Helpful | Level 5

How did you re-install?

In my case, I went to dropbox.com. I clicked on my account icon on the upper right hand to show a dropdown which includes "Install Dropbox App" to initiate downloading of the installer. The dropbox app is no longer available in the App store the last time I checked.

Good luck in your re-install.

236Lincoln
Explorer | Level 3
Dropbox tech sent me a link to install blue app
Poll
How do you get refocussed while working from home? Do you find any of these options keep you from getting distracted?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?