cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem opening a compressed Zip File from dropbox, getting error Compressed (zipped) folders Error

Problem opening a compressed Zip File from dropbox, getting error Compressed (zipped) folders Error

andrew w.18
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hey guys im having a problem opening folders I have downloaded from dropbox. I have since deleted it from dropbox (so cant try reloading the files). I have tried opening it 3 on different computers and im getting the same message. I tried using both windows 7 and windows 8.1

This is the message
"COMPRESSED (ZIPPED) FOLDERS ERROR

Windows cannot open the folder.

The Compressed (zipped) Folder "H..... downloaded by ..... .zip is invalid

If anyone knows some potential solutions I could try, I will be so stoked. I will not only say THANK YOU VERY MUCH. but give you a virtual hi five!!

Thanking you very much

chur Andrew

17 Replies 17

xmedic9
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
All my test downloads are under 500 Mb. I'm losing business because my remote clients can't open the files they download. I've tried several unzip utilities, on different operating systems with no luck. DB email tech support is a 24 to 48 hour turn around time, and the solutions offered are below basic. I my have to ditch DB all together. Does anyone have an idea when this started, my best guess is some time around the the New Year?

mrsnak
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Don't use Dropbox for much, but also having that issue on any size files that DB compresses. 
Useless, so I'm directing my clients to use Hightail to send me batches of files.
Mac OS High Sierra

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

I'm closing this thread as it is not related to the issue that you're experiencing. Yes, it's similar, but it was based on a previous limit of 1GB for downloaded folders. The issue you're experiencing happens to folders of any size and it's an issue that Dropbox is aware of. Please use the following thread for any further comments, or start a new thread if you have a different issue.

dmp3357
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I am unable to open many of the folders I download from Dropbox.  I get the following error message:

"Compressed (zipped) Folders Error  Windows cannot open the folder.  The Compressed (zipped) folder 'C\Users\Bob\XYZ.zip' is invalid."

The folders I am attempting to download and open meet both criteria specified in the article "Download entire folders on dropbox.com" (https://help.dropbox.com/desktop-web/download-entire-folders), i.e. -

1) the folder is (much) less than 20GB in total size

2) the folder has fewer than 10,000 total files

Note: I am only having to do this because my Dropbox files have failed to automatically download to my new computer after I installed the app and logged in to the same on account on both my old and new computers (see https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Syncing-and-uploads/Dropbox-files-do-not-automatically-download-to-n...)

MaskedGasser
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

After years of having the availability to store my photos and videos in dropbox for free, Dropbox has decided to push me toward a very expensive account upgrade.  I am far above the allotted 5Gb or storage space of the basic (free) plan.  I don't need Dropbox as a means of storage.  I actually forgot I have this service.  I am now deleting all of the files that I don't need from my Dropbox account.   I am downloading all of the photos & videos that I want to keep to my pc, however, when I go to open the zip file that is created by the download on my pc, I receive an error message that "Windows cannot open the folder"  "The compressed (zipped) Folder 'C:\User\Downloads\Dropbox.zip' is invalid".  What can I do to retrieve MY photos and videos? 

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@MaskedGasser

There is currently a known issue related to the downloading of compressed fodlers resulting in corrupt or incomplete Zip files. Dropbox is aware of the issue and is working on it.

I'm merging your post into a larger thread where this is already being discussed.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Ask a Question section here.]

monthlygrapevine
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

After downloading files to my hard drive I am unable to unpack the zip file due to an error 79: inappropriate file type or format. However I can download each file individually but that is time consuming. This was not a problem until I updated Mac OS to Monterey 12.0.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @monthlygrapevine, thanks for posting today! 

Are you able to preview the file online? Also, what is the size of the content you're downloading? 

Have you tried to unzip using the Terminal utility? 

• Press and hold down the Command and Space keys to launch Spotlight.
  • Into the text field, input Terminal.
  • Hit Enter. This will open the Terminal utility.
  • Next, execute the unzip command to unzip. In the command line, enter this command: unzip filename.zip
  • Enter your password.
  • Wait as Terminal decompresses the file.

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Felix D. New member | Level 2
    Stefan M. New member | Level 1
    jane h. New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?