cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem transferring files from desktop dropbox folder to an external drive

Problem transferring files from desktop dropbox folder to an external drive

Lee D.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I've used Dropbox for 2 years without issue. My files are located in the dropbox folder on my computer. It has worked flawlessly. Suddenly, when I try to transfer a file (located within dropbox on my computer) to an external drive, I get an error message:

"Property Loss

Are you sure you want to copy this file without its properties? The file "Doc" (for example) has properties that can't be copied to the new location."

If I transfer a file not located in the dropbox folder to an external drive, it transfers without this message.

Help?

13 Replies 13

Stacy G.4
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I have some mp3 files that I want to copy to a USB but when I do only a short cut copies and won't play from the USB. When I do the copy it say that it will copy without properties which I think is what causes the problem. I don't understand FAT and all the things mentioned above, all I want is my files to copy and I don't know how. Please help

Mike H.62
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I got the same message (Are you sure you want to copy this file without its properties?) while trying to move JPG files from DROPBOX to my external drive. I selected YES while also checking the box to do this for all files selected. That seemed to work for me. I think that's what DropBox support is telling us to do. 

The message only started appearing since I switched to Windows 10 and Office 2016 this year.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

The message about copying without some properties is because you're copying a file from a partition that supports meta data for files (extended attributes) and you're copying it to a partition that does not support meta data. It's not a problem, as long as you know that any meta data associated with a file will not be copied.

Thomas78
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm new to Drop Box and have found my way here because I'm experiencing the same message.  The answers to questions here are quite conflicting.  Some say the unspecified properties that will be lost are just tags that Drop Box uses to manage files and don't matter, others say that their files won't function / are not recognized once copied in this manner, and one says that it's "only" metadata that is lost, so it's not a problem as long as you know it will be lost(?)

Some of my files have metadata & tags carefully added for the benefit of my team, so saying it doesn't matter as long as I know about it is not helpful.  "If you come ashore here we will cut off some of your toes.  It's just something we do.  It's not a problem as long as you know about it."

Can someone confirm exactly what these properties are that will be lost, and what the consequences are?  Using Drop Box is not going to be a solution for us if it creates more problems than it solves.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Ask a Question section here.]

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    Mike H.62 New member | Level 1
    Stacy G.4 New member | Level 1
    Serdar M. New member | Level 1
    Gail64 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?