cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Problem with making a local backup of Dropbox folder (version 14.3.17)

Problem with making a local backup of Dropbox folder (version 14.3.17)

Robert J.
Collaborator | Level 9

I make periodic full backups of my Dropbox folder to an external hard drive. This is (or used to be) simply done by copying and pasting the folder to the external drive. That worked perfectedly until the latest release (14.3.17), but now the copy stops, and is reporting file access errors.

I tracked the failing files (24 of them) down to the .dropbox.cache folder. They are located inside a subfolder named 'qebcobkqbgpbzfynfuwbof', and are all called placeholder.*, where the * represents 24 different standard file extensions, like avi, doc, jpg etc etc.

Stopping Dropbox, deleting the offending subfolder and restarting Dropbox causes that subfolder to be recreated with 24 uncopyable files in it again.

The problem occurs on Windows 8.1 and Windows 10. I have found a very similar post in Spanish on another part of this forum (https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Buscar-respuestas/problema-con-files-in-cache/td-p/192449) and another in Russian on the Dr Web forum. Both mentioned exactly the same 'gobbldegook' subfolder name!

12 Replies 12

bn
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the report, Robert! Does the issue also occur on verion 13.X.X? This will help us track down what's going on here.

Robert J.
Collaborator | Level 9

I can't say for definite. I have been on beta versions for years, and my last successful backup was made on October 15th. 

I believe the current beta at that time would have been 13.3.19, so my best guess is that it was introduced at 14.X.X

I should add that the fault occurs whether the Desktop client is running or not. The files are created when Dropbox starts up if they don't exist, so deleting the .dropbox.cache folder or its problematic subfolder and then backing up is only a temporary 'Band Aid' fix.

It would be easier to work out exactly which client I was on at the time from the beta release notifications if the forum gave more precise dates of posting than 'n weeks ago'.

ernstMreicher58
Super User

just thinking loud:

why manual backups??

DB writes some infos somewhere - that´s the invisible cache data

obviously your "system" can´t handle it!

you should only copy/back up "your data" - not DB´s data

I would do it automated with a backup program

and backup programs can exclude unwanted data

Falls Ihnen meine Antwort gefallen oder geholfen hat, können Sie mir ein "Kudo" (Like) geben oder "Als Lösung akzeptieren" anklicken.
If you like my answer or find it helpful you could give me a "Kudo" (Like) or click at "Accept as Solution"

Robert J.
Collaborator | Level 9

Why manual backups? Well, why not? It's my computer, and I'll manage it the way I want to. :slight_smile:

I've been managing computers large and small since 1971, and I'm not to change my ways now.

To each his own. A chacun son goût. Jeder hat seine eigenen Ansichten und seinen eigenen Geschmack.

I have no problem at all with Dropbox writing files into a hidden folder on MY hard drive.

I do have a problem with those files being created in a way that 'breaks' standard Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 functions such as file and folder copy that I am entitled to use on my folders on MY hard drive.

Rich
Super User II

Robert J. wrote:

It would be easier to work out exactly which client I was on at the time from the beta release notifications if the forum gave more precise dates of posting than 'n weeks ago'.

Change the setting in your preferences.

Absolute DatesAbsolute Dates

Robert J.
Collaborator | Level 9

Many thanks for the pointer towards the setting page.

So I was almost certainly on 13.3.19 when my previous backup worked.

Alexis G.1
Super User

@Robert J. wrote:

I make periodic full backups of my Dropbox folder to an external hard drive. This is (or used to be) simply done by copying and pasting the folder to the external drive. That worked perfectedly until the latest release (14.3.17), but now the copy stops, and is reporting file access errors.

I tracked the failing files (24 of them) down to the .dropbox.cache folder. They are located inside a subfolder named 'qebcobkqbgpbzfynfuwbof', and are all called placeholder.*, where the * represents 24 different standard file extensions, like avi, doc, jpg etc etc.

Stopping Dropbox, deleting the offending subfolder and restarting Dropbox causes that subfolder to be recreated with 24 uncopyable files in it again.

The problem occurs on Windows 8.1 and Windows 10. I have found a very similar post in Spanish on another part of this forum (https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Buscar-respuestas/problema-con-files-in-cache/td-p/192449) and another in Russian on the Dr Web forum. Both mentioned exactly the same 'gobbldegook' subfolder name!

Hi. Congratulations. Make full backup of Dropbox data by yourself is actually a Best Practice. I make Dropbox backups every week on External HDD or NAS and an extra copy in Bluray disks every month.

Dropbox is not a backup solution, can work as a backup in some scnearios (i.e: delete files by mistake, damaged hdd, ssd crash, stolen laptop, etc.) but if you have issues for example with ransomware and you want a quick recover of your files, your manual backups are the best shoot!

In regards to the error you are publishing in this thread, let me tell you you DON'T need to backup the cache folder. The cache folder is a folder with files need it by Dropbox in order to properly sync data. It's Incremental - Delta Advanced Data you don't need to backup. You only need to backup your files, your data.

And allow me to share with you some great tools to backup your precious files:

Teracopy: Excellent to copy lot of files with better performance.

Beyond Compare: A great tool to sync content from your Dropbox with your backup!. You can see with colors the "difference"!!!

Dsyncronize: Auto free software to update your backup from Dropbox. You can even keep up to 5 old versions of your files! You can setup auto schedule of your backups.

Veeam Endpoint Backup Free: The best of the best. And free! You can backup your full PC (including Dropbox) to an external HDD and create a recovery USB memory boot device. If you have issues... no problem! Boot with your USB and recover in minutes! including Dropbox data!

And if you want to recover ONLY Dropbox data, you can recover Individual files from your Veeam backups as well. And backups take less than 10 minutes because the first one is full but the 2nd, 3rd, etc are incrementals! And you can setup your backups to be done automatically every day, at certain time, or the days you pick up from a week calendar. Options are endless!

I hope this info help you. Regards,

Robert J.
Collaborator | Level 9

@Alexis G.1

I have been aware that Dropbox is mirroring software, and not backup software, ever since I began experimenting with its earliest releases.

I also know what I want to back up and what I don't, and what the .dropbox.cache folder is for.

I don't need any "great tools" - if I wanted one I would write my own. I have been managing computers, writing operating systems and producing applications since 1971.

The problem I reported with the beta release 14.3.17 is based on the principle that no software, Dropbox included, should create files that break the standard functions of the manufacturer's operating system. The writers of Dropbox have no right to decide which functions of my computer' operating system I can use on any part of my hard drive  and which I can't.

bn
Dropbox Staff

Hi Robert, I think we've identified the issue and we're working on a fix. Will follow up on this thread when it's in a build you can try. Thank you for reporting!

Need more support?