cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem working with Excel on Dropbox

Problem working with Excel on Dropbox

Carey0711
New member | Level 2

When i try and open excel files in dropbox it says it cant open because file format or file extension is not valid. I have been using dropbox and excel for 3 months and have never had this problem before. Any ideas? Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Problem working with Excel on Dropbox

Walter
Dropboxer

Hey there @Carey0711  - sorry to hear about this.

Could you send me a screenshot of the exact error you get so that I can get a better understanding of the matter at hand?

While you're at it, could you let me know the exact status of the desktop app on your computer? Is it 'up to date' or still syncing changes?

Does it persist for all of your Excel files, some or just one? Do those preview normally on our website? 

On a side note, could you try shortening the filepaths perhaps, by simply renaming the file to a shorter name, renaming a folder to a shorter name, or reducing the number of sub-folders?

Spoiler

The Dropbox desktop application can read and write to locations that are longer than 255 characters, which means that files will sync to and from those locations, however, the applications used to open or save said files (e.g. Word, Notepad, Excel, Etc.) might not support reading from or writing to these locations with long file paths and may show error messages when trying to open, save or edit them. This is out of our control since the application developers would have to add support for long paths to resolve the issue.

Let me know what you find!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Re: Problem working with Excel on Dropbox

Walter
Dropboxer

Hey there @Carey0711  - sorry to hear about this.

Could you send me a screenshot of the exact error you get so that I can get a better understanding of the matter at hand?

While you're at it, could you let me know the exact status of the desktop app on your computer? Is it 'up to date' or still syncing changes?

Does it persist for all of your Excel files, some or just one? Do those preview normally on our website? 

On a side note, could you try shortening the filepaths perhaps, by simply renaming the file to a shorter name, renaming a folder to a shorter name, or reducing the number of sub-folders?

Spoiler

The Dropbox desktop application can read and write to locations that are longer than 255 characters, which means that files will sync to and from those locations, however, the applications used to open or save said files (e.g. Word, Notepad, Excel, Etc.) might not support reading from or writing to these locations with long file paths and may show error messages when trying to open, save or edit them. This is out of our control since the application developers would have to add support for long paths to resolve the issue.

Let me know what you find!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?