cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
Announcements
Whatā€™s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

pgpme not installed

Proprietary daemon and python-gpgme

boxquestioner
New member | Level 2

Hi, I try to install Dropbox on Linux. When I clicked on the Dropbox icon or visited www.dropbox.com/download, I got a message:

In order to use Dropbox, you must download the proprietary daemon.

Note: python-gpgme is not installed, we will not be able to verify binary signatures.

What shall I do? How to download the properitary daemon and install python-gpgme?

15 Replies 15

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Hi there, what version of Linux are you using? Are you not able to apt-get that module?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

An_Laoch
Explorer | Level 4

This morning I booted my laptop running 

~ $ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:	LinuxMint
Description:	Linux Mint 19 Tara
Release:	19
Codename:	tara

I was presented with a dropbox message saying that the package python-pgpme was not installed and Dropbox couldn't work without it. Ubuntu dropped python-pgpme in favour of python-pgp some time back and python-pgpme is no longer available in the repositories.

jonaseberle
Helpful | Level 6

Hi, it's on Ubuntu 18.04 using the official .deb-package dropbox:2015.10.28 .

python-gpgme is obsolete, the successor is python-gpg (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus-dropbox/+bug/1759984)

This box is shown on every start. The daemon IS installed. One can click "cancel" here - dropbox runs just fine.

Screenshot_20181102_092614.png

It would be nice if it was not shown, though...

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Does the ā€˜Donā€™t show this againā€™ checkbox not work? If it doesnā€™t Iā€™ll forward it to our dev team to investigate this further.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

jonaseberle
Helpful | Level 6

"we will not be able to verify binary signatures" - I am not going to mute a warning about that.

xdunal3306
New member | Level 2

It does appear that a software architect hasnt coded the latest version of Dropbox correctly.  What is the proprietary daemon... surely this should be within the installation if required ( Obtained from the Linux Mint Software Store) and why state you need to have obsolete software??? 

Please update Dropbox source code to include support for python-gpg.  Im not going to ignore a warning box that could compromise any security. 

The Windows & Android versions just run without any of this hassle!

gcvisel
Helpful | Level 5

I am getting the same popup every time I boot up Mint 17.3.  If I click on OK (and check the Don't show this again box,) it hangs the install at about 75%.  (This is with Dropbox installed and running just fine!)  If I just click the checkbox and dismiss the popup, it just comes back on next bootup.  More of a nuisance on bootup that I have to dismiss, so I was wondering if anyone else was seeing this popup.  

jonaseberle
Helpful | Level 6

Any update here?

smartsphere
New member | Level 2

I installed   python-gpg and  Dropbox loads up without the warning

sudo apt-get install python-gpg

Dennnis

Need more support?