cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Proprietary daemon and python-gpgme

Proprietary daemon and python-gpgme

boxquestioner
New member | Level 2

Hi, I try to install Dropbox on Linux. When I clicked on the Dropbox icon or visited www.dropbox.com/download, I got a message:

In order to use Dropbox, you must download the proprietary daemon.

Note: python-gpgme is not installed, we will not be able to verify binary signatures.

What shall I do? How to download the properitary daemon and install python-gpgme?

15 Replies 15

gcvisel
Helpful | Level 5

I tried that, and get "Unable to locate package python-gpg." 
In the Mint Synaptic Package manager, python-gpg is not listed, but python-gpgme is, and it was already installed.

maihoa
Explorer | Level 4

Hi

Nearly every time I boot Linux Mint 19.1 (based on Ubuntu 18.04) I get the following dialog message:

python-gpg(python-gpgme for Ubuntu 16-10 and lower) is not installed, we will not be able to verify binary signatures.

Running  dpkg -l |grep python-gpg   indicates python-gpg is installed

ii python-gpg 1.10.0-1ubuntu2 amd64 Python interface to the GPGME GnuPG encryption library (Python 2)

If I click on OK or Cancel, it doesn't matter which, Dropbox works normally. I get the Dropbox icon, it syncs and as far as I can tell, it's working as it should. However clicking on "Don't show this again" does not work. I still get the message the next time I boot.

How do I get rid of the message? It's annoying.

John

Dropbox dialog message.png

gcvisel
Helpful | Level 5

I installed python-gpg and Dropbox loads up without the warning

sudo apt-get install python-gpg

(from Dennnis on Page 1 of this thread.  It worked for me too.)

maihoa
Explorer | Level 4

I tried purging (sudo apt purge python-gpg) python-gpg then reinstalling. Same problem. I still get the popup. Strange thing about it, about every 5 or 6 boots, I don't get the popup. python-gpg is installed and is the current version in the repository.

dpkg -l | grep python-gpg
ii python-gpg 1.10.0-1ubuntu2 amd64 Python interface to the GPGME GnuPG encryption library (Python 2)

John

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Hi everybody,

That's a Dropbox control script bug, I have signaled about long time ago, but seems nobody take care about, for long time. One other simple workaround is turn off "Start Dropbox on system startup" and start it by hand every time.

Hope this cast some light.

trdat
New member | Level 2

I'm using Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. It works for me!

sudo apt-get install python3-gpg

Need more support?