cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to make our Community work for you and we need your help. Take our short survey!
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QtWebEngineProcess.exe?

Highlighted

QtWebEngineProcess.exe?

Explorer | Level 3

Why is QtWebEngineProcess.exe loaded with Dropbox?

11 Replies 11
Highlighted

Re: QtWebEngineProcess.exe?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @FlipFlops2001

Welcome onboard!

Hmmm... I'm not really sure how Dropbox processes and "QtWebEngineProcess.exe" are connected. Would you mind sending in some more details on the case? 

Looking forward to hearing back from you. 

Warm regards, 
JaneA

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

Qt is a suite of tools and frameworks, typically used in the creation of user interfaces. One of those items is a lightweight browser. Dropbox is probably using this process for their new user interface.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @Rich

Thanks for the additional info!

You are most probably right, I'll check our internal resources once again and keep the thread updated here. 

Hope you have a great week ahead. 

Jane

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3
Hi JaneA,

QtWebEngineProcess.exe shows up as a sub-process of Dropbox.exe in MS System Internals' Process Explorer. Go to: http://www.thelayeredmix.co.nf/Dropbox-Process_Explorer-QTWebEngineProcess(2).pdf to see a screen grab.

Thanks!
Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3
Hey speaking of new interfaces, how about a 64-bit version?
Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Hi,

any news about it ?

On a test computer, I have 2x QtWebEngineProcess.exe, about 25 MB each + Dropbox.exe 120 MB.

So, nearly 200 MB in memory just for DropBox... Just a drive. I know that memory is not expensive but it looks like a bit heavy...

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @vduvernet, while this is an outdated discussion, I’m wondering what this looks like on your end. Have you tried right-clicking on either process & ending the task by any chance? If it’s not too much trouble for you, I’d appreciate a screenshot (omitting personal info), so as to better determine what's happening; please include it in your next message if possible. Thanks in advance!

Jane

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

I came across this question while searching for the answer to the same. I'm including before and after ending the processes screenshots below. The greyed out recent and notifications boxes is the only change I've noticed.

Before:

Screenshot 2019-08-18 22.38.24.png

After (1)

Screenshot 2019-08-18 22.38.55.png

After (2)

Screenshot 2019-08-18 22.38.57.png

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
👋 Hey again @JGarnettAU, thanks for the screenshots outlining us how this looks like on your end, this has been very helpful; let’s take it from where we’ve left off!

Following-up from your inquiry, it would be worth noting that the QtWebEngineProcess.exe application is a necessary component for the Dropbox software process. It is necessary for some UI components of the Dropbox application, and is necessary in order for the Dropbox application to run. If it is uninstalled the Dropbox application will experience issues and crash.

Multiple instances of QtWebEngineProcess.exe correspond to different UI features within the Dropbox application, so what you’re seeing is expected.

I hope that this is answer you've been looking for, however please let me if you have any additional questions about any of the above on our discussion here. Thanks again & have a wonderful rest of your day!

Jane

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?