cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Ross uses Dropbox to answer some new house questions here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAW camera files stop syncing when iPad screen turned off

RAW camera files stop syncing when iPad screen turned off

ThePicketFence
Explorer | Level 3

Hi everyone. We are a real estate photography company. We are currently trialling using an iPad to upload our RAW (.ARW) files to dropbox from a photoshoot to Dropbox using iPads. The uploads are generally about 51 photos total so about 1.3GB per upload. 

The photos are uploading fine, however on 4G they take approximately half an hour. In this time, if the iPad screen is turned off, or the app is closed (ie: another app is opened), the sync uploads maybe 1 more photo and then stops. We obviously cannot have this happen.

I have been reading previous threads on the forum about this issue - I have made sure that within the Setting app, Dropbox hs "background app refresh" turned on as well as "read and write" in photos, "Mobile data" is turned on etc.

In regards to locations services, I cannot see a location services checkbox within the dropbox app or the Setting app itself for Dropbox.

We are manually uploading the photos from a folder within the iPad - not from the photos app itself as well if this information is important - we only want to upload select photos - not all photos.

Is there any way to get this to automatically upload with the screen turned off (ie: background upload)?

iPad Air 6th Gen 13.7

Dropbox 240.2.4

Cheers,

Robert

3 Replies 3

Re: RAW camera files stop syncing when iPad screen turned off

Hannah
Dropboxer

Hey @ThePicketFence, thanks for joining us on the Dropbox Community!

So, indeed, when manually uploading files from the Dropbox mobile app, you'll need to have the app in the foreground (open).

The manual uploads can only run for a few minutes. After this, iOS stops the process to save battery on your device.

Thanks for your feedback about this, though. I will definitely pass it along to our team.

And you can also post this as an idea in our idea board

Let me know if you have any questions!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

ThePicketFence
Explorer | Level 3
Thanks Hannah. Can you also confirm there is no workaround for Android devices also? We use android devices at the moment and the same issue arises when the screen goes blank

Hannah
Dropboxer
Indeed, at the moment, there's no workaround for Android devices either.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropboxer
    ThePicketFence Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?