cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Allow me to sort files

virtualpaul
Explorer | Level 4
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
I did a little experiment.

My Camera Uploads folder had about 500 items in it. The headers would not active for sorting until the page was fully loaded, which took a couple seconds. I duplicated all the files, and the headers took twice as long to activate. I then kept duplicating the folder until it had about 4000 files in it totaling about 13GB, and the headers took longer to activate each time (last count was 15 seconds).

Simply put, you're not waiting long enough for the page to fully load, and if you have 10,000+ files in the folder, it's going to take a long time to finish loading. I would consider adding subfolders, perhaps by year, to help reduce the number of files in a single folder.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Mark
Super User II

@virtualpaul

When you click on them it should sort, but, I do know the website doesnt work with large volumes of files. Do you happen to have over 10,000 (or getting near that) within the Camera Uploads folder?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Rich
Super User II
And make sure you give the page enough time to load. The headers won't become clickable until the page is fully loaded (and it continues to load even when the browser has "stopped" loading the page). In other words, give it some time before trying to click anything. As Mark stated, the more files you have in the folder, the longer it will take.

virtualpaul
Explorer | Level 4

@Mark - I don't see anywhere to grab stats for this folder, and I don't sync it to my HD anymore so I can't do a count in Finder... but I've been backing up my camera roll since 2013 so it's likely I'm approaching that number.

Mark
Super User II
Once the page has fully loaded choose the tick box near the first sorting menu option and that will select them all.

Near the 'Download' button on the top right will show you how many files you've selected.

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Rich
Super User II
I did a little experiment.

My Camera Uploads folder had about 500 items in it. The headers would not active for sorting until the page was fully loaded, which took a couple seconds. I duplicated all the files, and the headers took twice as long to activate. I then kept duplicating the folder until it had about 4000 files in it totaling about 13GB, and the headers took longer to activate each time (last count was 15 seconds).

Simply put, you're not waiting long enough for the page to fully load, and if you have 10,000+ files in the folder, it's going to take a long time to finish loading. I would consider adding subfolders, perhaps by year, to help reduce the number of files in a single folder.

Jane
Dropboxer

Hey @virtualpaul

Thanks for getting in touch on the Dropbox Community! 

Because your opinion really matters, would you mind taking a minute of your time to fill out a survey sharing your experience using the Dropbox Community? Please include your feedback and let us know if there's anything we can do to improve! You can access it here: http://bit.ly/2lNKIxT .

Please feel free to get back in touch for questions or feedback at any time!

Warm regards, 
JaneA

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

virtualpaul
Explorer | Level 4

@Mark I have 10,440 photos in this folder. That is the culprit. Thanks for the answer.

@Rich you're right, if I wait for about a full minute this functionality comes back. Backing up my camera roll is my primary use case for DB in a consumer setting (I've used it extensively for business in the past). I'm assuming I'm not the only one with a lot of photos. You guys should consider paginating this page or something because that's a really long time to wait, especially when you don't know what's going on.

Also, I think you might reconsider how rude you were to me earlier on this thread (which i see has since been deleted), given that I have in fact uncovered a real bug. I guess it never occured to you that you could be talking to a developer who knows how to click on header icons...

Mark
Super User II

I'd strongly suggest Paul that you move some of those photos to other folders ASAP. Dropbox does not usually open folders on the website with more than 10,000 files in it so I'm surprise it is.

I've split my camera upload in to years (which helps speed up the loading as well).

Also, please note that Rich and myself do not work for Dropbox so cannot alter the product in anyway at all.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    virtualpaul Explorer | Level 4
    Jane Dropboxer
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?