Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: How does one remove the Dropbox link from the Navigation Pane om Windows 10?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

@DropboxTeam: any fix without hacking windows in sight ?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: How does one remove the Dropbox link from the Navigation Pane om Windows 10?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

You can't, because that link itself is the installed dropbox client on desktop. To remove the dropbox icon from navigation pane you will have to uninstall dropbox from your pc.

Thanks

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II
@Sindri wrote:

Maybe that's my only option. Make a virtual drive and make everyone in the company move their dropbox location to that.

That's really the best solution, or just move everyone's Dropbox folder to C:\Dropbox and forget the virtual drive letter.

[This thread is now closed. If you have a similar or new question, you can ask here]

12 Replies 12
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey daslicht, welcome to the Dropbox Forum!

I’ve removed your post from the previous thread, as this has been an older discussion. Please include any details regarding the issue you’re having in your reply and I’ll make sure to follow-up with you as closely as possible.  

Thanks in advance & I’ll be awaiting your next message here! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Any news on this? I've found threads relating to this since 2015. 3 years and no fix? Or is there a fix?

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II
There is no option to remove Dropbox from the navigation pane.
Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

That sucks, to say the least. 

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

You can't, because that link itself is the installed dropbox client on desktop. To remove the dropbox icon from navigation pane you will have to uninstall dropbox from your pc.

Thanks

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Why would you want to do this?

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

We use dropbox (for business) as a storage for textures, labels, etc. for rendering. Problem is that not everyone has dropbox on the same location on their computers. For example one person could have their dropbox on: "F:\Dropbox\" another person on "C:\Docs\Cloud\Dropbox", etc.

Our rendering software that uses those textures and labels stores full paths for textures/labels. This means that if you are using an image that is (for simplicity sake) stored on "F:\Dropbox\Client22\Project01\Renders\Assets\image01.png", that path is going to be different for other people with their dropbox on C: drive or whatever.

Obvious way to solve this is to map everyones dropbox folder to a virtual drive, lets say X:

This means that (using the example above), the image is accessible through "X:\Client22\Project01\Renders\Assets\image01.png". Which means that no matter on which computer the rendering software is used, it always finds the correct image, because this path works, no matter on what computer you are. 

Now after everyone has this new X: drive on their computers, I don't want them using the normal link to dropbox, because if they do, and then save an image there which they then use while rendering, the whole "X virtual drive" system fails.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2
So you are moving everyone dropbox folders to X drive?

After you reconfigure everyone's dropbox settings the navigation pane link would then update it's link to X drive too. Unless I am missing something here?
Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I'm not moving any folders. I'm just making a virtual drive X: which points to the real location of dropbox on each computer (which is different in many cases, and it needs to be different because of other software/links in documents, etc.).

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?