cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re-downloaded all my files from dropbox now all my paths go through dropbox-how can I get rid of it?

Re-downloaded all my files from dropbox now all my paths go through dropbox-how can I get rid of it?

nathanyoung586
Explorer | Level 3

I tried deleting dropbox from my computer, and it deleted all my local files. I downloaded all my files again from dropbox online, but now all my downloaded files (as well as files I have downloaded since) all have "Dropbox" as part of the path.

Dropbox has been nothing but a complete hassle for me. Does anyone have suggestions for completely purging it from my computer? I am having trouble finding any contact info save for the chatbox and this forum. Any help would be much appreciated.

18 Replies 18

Re: Re-downloaded all my files from dropbox now all my paths go through dropbox-how can I get rid of

nathanyoung586
Explorer | Level 3

There were also dozens of annotated research articles I was not able to restore. Along with that, all of my previous downloads have been deleted. Any help in restoring those would be much appreciated as well.

Re: Re-downloaded all my files from dropbox now all my paths go through dropbox-how can I get rid of

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @nathanyoung586, thanks for joining the Community!

I'm sorry to hear about this. It sounds like you enabled the automatic computer backup feature in the Dropbox desktop application. Could you first try disabling the computer backup from Dropbox using the steps in the above article to see if this helps?

Afterwards, you can move the folders and files back to their previous locations, which will also delete them from the Dropbox account online.

If there are any deleted files, try recovering them from the Dropbox site.

If the missing files weren’t syncing to your account, then it wouldn’t be possible to recover them from the site. However, it might be possible to recover the files from the local machine from the recycle bin, or using a third party app or service to do so.

Let me know how it goes!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

nathanyoung586
Explorer | Level 3

Jay,

Thank you for your response. I have redownloaded dropbox, but it is not letting me disable the computer backup. The instructions you listed worked up until "manage backup," which is not showing up for me. The only option available is "set up," and that is presumably where the problem began in the first place.

I tried downloading my files online from dropbox, and it has completely messed up my paths (which has in turn completely messed up all my programming directories). Here is an example of what my paths now look like:

C:\Users\nathan\Dropbox (Old)\My PC (LAPTOP-SQ2NGGA5)\Desktop\Calculus

whereas it used to be:

C:\Users\nathan\Desktop\Calculus.

Not only are the paths messed up, I am also not able to recover several dozen articles I have spent countless hours annotating over the past few years. I use articles as a space for leaving notes and future ideas, and I am currently unable to recover any of those. I absolutely need to get these back. I was simply trying to sign up a free dropbox trial, and it has completely messed up my paths, directories, and deleted hundreds of downloaded files.

I am extremely frustrated with dropbox, but I really appreciate you reaching out. Any further assistance you can offer will be extremely helpful.

Walter
Dropboxer

Hi Nathan, sorry to hear you're still having issues with this. 

Could it be that you had disabled it when you first uninstalled the app?

In any case, can you try setting it up again to disable it properly and while doing so choose one of the available options, i.e. "Keep content in folders on this PC/Mac" or "Leave content in Dropbox"?

If the problem persists, please send us a screenshot so we can have a visual too.

Thanks!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

nathanyoung586
Explorer | Level 3

Walter,

Thank you for your response. I cannot select "Keep content in folders on this PC/Mac" because I do not have the option to "Manage backups."

ihatedropbox.JPG

I believe I was able to successfully disable it by applying the following settings:

II.JPG

But my paths still have dropbox in them:

paths.JPG

Hope this offers more information.

Lusil
Dropboxer

Thanks for the additional information and screenshots, @nathanyoung586

Are you able to manually move the files back to their original locations? 

Keep us posted!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

nathanyoung586
Explorer | Level 3

I have manually moved the files back, but I am still missing all my annotated articles. And even when I try downloading new files, it is still somehow going through dropbox, even though I have it disabled.

Here's an example of the path for a file I just downloaded:

file:///C:/Users/natha/Dropbox%20(Old)/My%20PC%20(LAPTOP-SQ2NGGA5)/Downloads/form-time-conflict-registration.pdf

I have even tried uninstalling dropbox from my computer. The same issue persists. This dialogue has been going on for over two weeks and has been an enormous pain -- is there not a way to just completely remove dropbox from my computer? I just want my computer back to normal.

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hey there @nathanyoung586!

I'd suggest resetting the default folder path for the Downloads folder. This would usually be done automatically when disabling the backup through the desktop app.

Please navigate to your system's Downloads folder through the File Explorer (not the "My PC > Downloads" folder) and right click to choose "Properties".

Go to the "Location" tab and choose the option to restore the default folder path.

Let me know if that helps!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

nathanyoung586
Explorer | Level 3

This worked for downloads, but how can I do this for the rest of my files? And how can I recover my old annotated articles?

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?