cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re-linking to previous folder after re-install

Re-linking to previous folder after re-install

anmo1
Explorer | Level 4

Hi, I had to reinstall dropbox and since I have several gigabytes of data I would like to avoid re-downloading the whole content. However, when I run the installer and link it to my account, dropbox starts downloading the entire content to a new folder.

When I chose "advanced settings", and navigate to the parent folder of my existing Dropbox folder, I get the following prompt "There's already a folder named Dropbox(Company Name). Dropbox will rename your existing folder named Dropbox (Company Name) to finish installing". There are two options from here: "Choose Another Location" or "Rename". If I choise the first, a fresh complete download starts, if I choose the second, Dropbox renames the existing folder to "[name] (old)" and starts to download to a newly created "Dropbox" folder.

I have tried to follow the suggestions contained in this thread https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Installs-integrations/I-got-a-message-about-renaming-my-Dropbox-Fold... but again, dropbox either wants to rename the existing folder or create a new one.

Finally, I also followed these suggestions (for a mac computer) https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/advanced-reinstall with the same outcome.

Is there any way to force Dropbox to recognize the existing folder?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Re-linking to previous folder after re-install

Rich
Super User II

Rename your existing Dropbox folder to Dropbox_OLD or similar. Reinstall Dropbox and select the location that you want for the Dropbox folder. When the installation is finished, Dropbox will immediately start to sync. Pause syncing or exit Dropbox. Move the content of Dropbox_OLD into the newly created Dropbox folder. When the move is complete, and not before, resume syncing or re-launch Dropbox.

At this point Dropbox will begin indexing all of your files. This process will take a while, especially if you have a lot of data to go through. During this time it may say that files are uploading or downloading, but it's only transferring comparison data and any changes that it find. Be patient and LET IT WORK.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Rich
Super User II

Rename your existing Dropbox folder to Dropbox_OLD or similar. Reinstall Dropbox and select the location that you want for the Dropbox folder. When the installation is finished, Dropbox will immediately start to sync. Pause syncing or exit Dropbox. Move the content of Dropbox_OLD into the newly created Dropbox folder. When the move is complete, and not before, resume syncing or re-launch Dropbox.

At this point Dropbox will begin indexing all of your files. This process will take a while, especially if you have a lot of data to go through. During this time it may say that files are uploading or downloading, but it's only transferring comparison data and any changes that it find. Be patient and LET IT WORK.

View solution in original post

Walter
Dropboxer

And to add to what @Rich said, should you need to speed this process up, you can go ahead and change your bandwidth settings through the app's preferences

Let us know how this goes!  Oh, welcome to the Community btw and happy November too @anmo1

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

anmo1
Explorer | Level 4

It worked, thanks

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?