cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re-starting my desktop always sends a new code and asks if the machine should be trusted

Re-starting my desktop always sends a new code and asks if the machine should be trusted

Oz S.
Helpful | Level 5

I've been using Dropbox for years. Suddenly, within the past few weeks, on my desktop every time I reboot I am texted a validation code and I get an email asking if the computer should be trusted. 

This doesn't happen on my laptop. Where do I begin to troubleshoot this?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Re-starting my desktop always sends a new code and asks if the machine should be trusted

Oz S.
Helpful | Level 5

I figured it out.

I recently changed my Chrome setting to delete all local cookies on close.

Tonight, I found and saved the verification cookie that I need to keep if I don't want to continue being asked to verify the same device over and over.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Re: Re-starting my desktop always sends a new code and asks if the machine should be trusted

Jane
Dropboxer
Hey 

Welcome aboard, let’s look into that together! 

Please bear in mind that the two step verification SMS security codes are unique and time-sensitive. If you are using SMS to receive the two-step verification code, please make sure you enter the code when it arrives.

Because you have chosen to add an extra layer of security to your Dropbox account by enabling 2FA, when you use the Dropbox desktop application to launch the Dropbox website, we have to prompt you to enter a two-step verification code because the computer hasn't been verified.

If you are seeing the "Trust this computer" option, it means that you haven't signed in previously. This option enables you to go to the website in your browser and access your account without the additional security code.

Hope that the above steps are helpful. Please let me know if you need additional information about that!

Warm regards, 
JaneA

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Oz S.
Helpful | Level 5

The texted code isn't a problem. Here's the problem:

If I reboot my compter right now, I'm going to get a text message with a code, then an email asking if this is a trusted computer. If I have to reboot an hour from now, the same thing will happen again. Text, code, email, and re-designate this as a trusted computer. 

If I shut down the computer tonight and go to bed, then boot up in the morning ... same routine again ... another text and email, and I'll say again that this is a trusted machine.

Jane
Dropboxer

Hey @Oz S.

Thanks for the swift reply! 

Hmmm... Seems that the device is not being registered properly... Would you mind unlinking your account from your desktop once, rebooting and then relinking? 

Moreover, is this a persistent behavior? Did this appear as of lately? 

Please keep me updated on whether unlinking your account does the trick for you!

Warm regards, 

JaneA

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Oz S.
Helpful | Level 5

Things seem to be ok now after a complete uninstall and re-install.

This started happening only recently (within the past couple of weeks), after years of using Dropbox.

Oz S.
Helpful | Level 5

Actually, it's not fixed and it's related to when I close my browser.

I close the browser, open it again and my desktop Dropbox is fine. But when I log into Dropbox in Chrome, I get sent a text message and asked again if I want to trust this computer.

Oz S.
Helpful | Level 5

I figured it out.

I recently changed my Chrome setting to delete all local cookies on close.

Tonight, I found and saved the verification cookie that I need to keep if I don't want to continue being asked to verify the same device over and over.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Oz S. Helpful | Level 5
    Jane Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?