cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuilding a computer

Rebuilding a computer

John10Yes-DG
New member | Level 2

We are a graphics design firm and use Dropbox to share files between our main office and three outlying offices. Doing graphic design we have many large files that are synced both for current work and also to make historical work accessible to people.  We have our Windows 10 machines set up with a drive for the OS and then a large internal drive for Dropbox.  My question is when we rebuild a machine (reinstall OS)  and reinstall Dropbox, we cannot tell it to sync to the old storage folder because it says there are already files there.  It forces us to choose a new folder and download everything.  This forces us to redownload terabytes of data which truly seems senseless and takes days to do.  Besides the time for us, I would think that Dropbox would not want us downloading all of that data.  

Is there a work around to this?

3 Replies 3

Re: Rebuilding a computer

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hi @John10Yes-DG, thanks for reaching out!

If you want to reinstall Dropbox, already have a Dropbox folder on your computer and don't want to re-download all your files, you can rename your existing Dropbox folder to "Dropbox (old)" or similar.

Then you can reinstall Dropbox and use the "Advanced settings" to select a location for the Dropbox folder. When the installation is finished, Dropbox will start to sync, so you'll need to immediately pause syncing.

Lastly, you'll need to move only the content of "Dropbox (old)" into the newly created Dropbox folder. When the move is complete, and not before, you can resume syncing.

That way, Dropbox will only re-index instead of re-download the files.

Let me know if you have any questions. 

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

John10Yes-DG
New member | Level 2

Hannah, this is good to know.  Would be nice if this was more obvious or maybe explained more in the message about not installing into a folder with content.  I had to believe there was a way but I was afraid of having all kinds of conflict files.  

Thanks

Hannah
Dropboxer
Happy to help with this, John.

If you need anything else, make sure to give us a shout!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropboxer
    John10Yes-DG New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?