cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recent Comodo Firewall Notification

Recent Comodo Firewall Notification

craigalan
Explorer | Level 3

Recently my firewall has been prompting me to allow access for a file, which looks like it's a dropbox update file and I am trying to confirm the legitmacy of the file. 

The file name is: dropboxupdatesetup_1.3.57.1.exe

The firewall states that it could not be recognized and it's about to create a new folder in:

C:\Windows\Temp\GUMF921.tmp

If I click the details of the file, I get an error stating that it could not find it where it is looking which is in:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox\Update\Install\{6FF087D1-59F3-45B6-A4F5-CA3C0CE02B70}\DropboxUpdateSetup_1.3.57.1.exe

So I am just trying to confirm this is legit and not a false positive on my part.

I have obviously scanned for viruses and malware with nothing showing up.

I am running Dropbox Desktop v 14.3.17 (which is a beta version) on a W7 Pro 64bit box.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Recent Comodo Firewall Notification

50040Leviathan
Helpful | Level 5

Agreed. I use both, on separate accounts on my PC.

Google Drive cannot support switching users on the same PC (you can try, but it will delete everything that was there before). Haven't tried with DropBox, but regardless, I use them for different things.

But I think this has now been solved (at least, for me!).

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Rif.: Recent Comodo Firewall Notification

Vicky
Dropboxer
Hi there,

We would love to investigate this further, can you please submit a ticket to Dropbox.com/support

Thanks,
Vicky

Did you find my post helpful? If it answers your question, please mark 'Accept as Solution" below so other users can find it quickly! 🙂

craigalan
Explorer | Level 3

I already did...just haven't heard back from them.  Did it the same day that I posted here.

50040Leviathan
Helpful | Level 5

I am having a similar problem.

Comodo HIPS is alerting me about:

"DropboxUpdateSetup_1.3.57.1.exe is trying to modify a protected file or directory"

The report is:

"DropboxUpdateSetup_1.3.57.1.exe could not be recognized and it is about to modify the contents of

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Temp\GUME7A0.tmp\goopdateres_ms.dll

You must make sure DropboxUpdateSetup_1.3.57.1.exe is a safe application before allowing this request.

I looked at the page listing the latest release, but I cannot correlate anything there with the number in the filename. The dates suggest there has been a recent update, but there is so little information it's almost a joke page.

Hovering over the tooltray icon (I am on Vista. Yes, I know.) the popup says "DropBox 13.4.21 Up to date"

mj000
New member | Level 2

Having the same issue. Attempted to submiut a support ticket, but have no idea if that's gone through as it didn't ping a notification. would apprecate being able to email someone so I can share a screenshot of the error messages.

Thanks

Daamon P.
New member | Level 2

+1 Having the same issue, occurred around the same time as the OP.

I'mRe: Recent Comodo Firewall Notification

Ripo
New member | Level 2

Having the same problem, but with a twist. The Comodo dialog box flashes on and off quite rapidly and I'm unable to click anything in the dialog box. This goes on for 30 secs to a minute then stops. Irritating because I can't click on any of the options and I can't get rid of the dialog box either. It doesn't show up in Task Manager so can't kill it from there. I'm running W10 Pro v 10.0.14393 on a Toshiba x64 laptop. 

Re: I'mRe: Recent Comodo Firewall Notification

craigalan
Explorer | Level 3

Well, over a week and no reply to my support ticket from Dropbox.  I am assuming this is something in the latest release of Dropbox and is safe.  As I stated, I was/am using a beta version.  My Girlfriend was not using the beta version and was on a different (stable) version than I was.  She was not getting the prompt from Comodo...HOWEVER, her Dropbox app just updated to the same version I have...which means it probably came out of beta.  Low and behold, she is getting the prompt as well.

Again, I am assuming this is just the way the updater is handling things, but it would be nice to actually get a reply from the folks at DropBox.

50040Leviathan
Helpful | Level 5

I 'block and terminate'-ed the Comodo-detected activity, just so I could get on with my life!

And then forgot about it.

Just looked again: hovering over the system tray icon. popup now says

"DropBox 14.4.19 Up to date"

So, DropBox has now successfully updated, without upsetting Comodo.

I guess the problem might be fixed?

Daamon P.
New member | Level 2
If Dropbox support aren't getting back with an explanation or fix, a serious option is to ditch Dropbox and its 5Gb storage for Gogle Drives free 15Gb and its ability to sync to your PC the same as Dropbox.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

50040Leviathan Helpful | Level 5
    craigalan Explorer | Level 3
    Daamon P. New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?