cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommendation on how to migrate to another drive?

Recommendation on how to migrate to another drive?

New member | Level 2

Hi,

I'm updating a drive and I want to head off problems with 250gb+ Dropbox directory.

Currently, Dropbox resides on c:confused face: (a standard hard drive). I'm upgrading c:confused face: to an SSD and want to move Dropbox to a different drive.

The way I "think" I should go about it is like this... 

• Unlink Dropbox from c:confused face: and uninstall the desktop app
  • Install SSD as c:confused face: then map the drive formerly known as c:confused face: to X:confused face: (whatever)
  • reinstall Dropbox on drive x:confused face: and map Dropbox back to the directory.

Is this a good plan or is there a better way to proceed?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Recommendation on how to migrate to another drive?

Super User II

You're not far off. This is how I do it every time I build a new computer, and it's always worked perfectly.

If it's a rebuild, uninstall Dropbox. You don't need to unlink first but you can if you want to. Rename the Dropbox folder to Dropbox_OLD or similar (move the Dropbox folder to another drive if you're formatting, obviously).

Rebuild your computer as needed and reinstall Dropbox. The application will ALWAYS go to your C: drive, but you can specify a different location for the Dropbox folder (your data) during the installation. You'll see an Advanced Options link after you sign in. Use this to pick the new location for your Dropbox folder. Do not pick the existing Dropbox folder. While Dropbox can reattach to an existing one, it's a buggy process that doesn't always allow it, and if you specify the existing Dropbox folder you'll end up creating a Dropbox within a Dropbox. It's not worth the trouble. Just pick a new location.

As soon as you finish the install, Dropbox will begin to download all of your files into the new Dropbox folder. Pause syncing or exit the Dropbox application. Move the content of Dropbox_OLD into the new Dropbox folder. Once the move is complete, and not before, resume syncing or relaunch Dropbox.

At this point, Dropbox will index all of your data to see what it has and what it needs to transfer. This will take a long time, especially with a folder of 250GB. It will appear to be uploading and downloading, but this is just comparison data and any differences that it finds. Just leave it alone and let it run. It has to go through this process.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Super User II

You're not far off. This is how I do it every time I build a new computer, and it's always worked perfectly.

If it's a rebuild, uninstall Dropbox. You don't need to unlink first but you can if you want to. Rename the Dropbox folder to Dropbox_OLD or similar (move the Dropbox folder to another drive if you're formatting, obviously).

Rebuild your computer as needed and reinstall Dropbox. The application will ALWAYS go to your C: drive, but you can specify a different location for the Dropbox folder (your data) during the installation. You'll see an Advanced Options link after you sign in. Use this to pick the new location for your Dropbox folder. Do not pick the existing Dropbox folder. While Dropbox can reattach to an existing one, it's a buggy process that doesn't always allow it, and if you specify the existing Dropbox folder you'll end up creating a Dropbox within a Dropbox. It's not worth the trouble. Just pick a new location.

As soon as you finish the install, Dropbox will begin to download all of your files into the new Dropbox folder. Pause syncing or exit the Dropbox application. Move the content of Dropbox_OLD into the new Dropbox folder. Once the move is complete, and not before, resume syncing or relaunch Dropbox.

At this point, Dropbox will index all of your data to see what it has and what it needs to transfer. This will take a long time, especially with a folder of 250GB. It will appear to be uploading and downloading, but this is just comparison data and any differences that it finds. Just leave it alone and let it run. It has to go through this process.

View solution in original post

New member | Level 2

Thanks Rick!

I think you save me a giant headache (or two) and I'm glad I asked!

Dropboxer
As always @Rich is correct.
If you use the "move" option in gear icon > preferences, or just relink to a new, clear drive, we may download all content again.
If we create a copy of ur Dropbox drive on a new SSD, then point at it... we'll "reindex" that folder (ie check it vs the online version) and see if there are any changes. If not then ur good to go. If there are any changes then we'll update so ur local copy will match the online.

In short, we're an intelligent program, point us at an existing folder and everything should work out. To reassure, should there be any issues, there is no circumstance where we'd overwrite data so rest assured the move should be straightforward.

Explorer | Level 3
Hi,
I need to move Dropbox to a drive d on the same disk. Using win7x64sp1.
Cannot change folder location via preferences mode. Have tried reinstalling.
Problem persists. Even with fresh reboot.
Says files /folders in use.
How can I access advanced options during installation, so that I may select the data folder up front?

-- Rashmi

Super User II

@Rashmi wrote:
Cannot change folder location via preferences mode.

Why not? What happens when you try? Are you getting an error message? If so, what is it?

How can I access advanced options during installation, so that I may select the data folder up front?

It will be a link at the bottom of the window after you sign-in to your account.

When specifying a data folder, make sure you select the location where you want the Dropbox folder to reside. For instance, if you want Dropbox to be at :anguished face:\Dropbox, you would select :anguished face:\ as the location. The installer will create a Dropbox folder in whatever location you sepcify.

Explorer | Level 3

I am trying to move my Dropbox folder from its installed location, C:confused face:Users\Rashmi\Dropbox to
:anguished face:\

The error message is:
Some files can't be moved. Please select a new location or close some open files and try again.

But I have no files open.
I have just rebooted the system.
One way to circumvent this would be to select my data folder during installation.

------
It will be a link at the bottom of the window after you sign-in to your account.
------

Do you mean when I access Dropbox via a browser such as Firefox?

There is a link for install.

But there is no link for advanced options, which will enable me to select any folder for my Dropbox data.

The install link only downloads the Dropboxinstaller.exe file.

On running this installer file, there is no interaction which permits me to fix my Dropbox data folder in :anguished face:

Regards,

Rashmi

Dropboxer
Hey there @Rashmi,

The advanced options that @Rich is referring to is a little later in the process than what you mentioned. So after installing the software, you will be prompted to sign into the Dropbox app and when choosing how to set up your account you will see the option for “Advanced settings”.

Just to note, you will see the option before choosing to open the Dropbox folder as that is the last step before the app will start to sync your files.

Hope this clarifies the matter, let me know how it goes - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?