cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reconnecting synch to external drive?

Reconnecting synch to external drive?

Rpmol
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Because my haddrive lacked space, I set up Dropbox to synch to an external drive connected to my MacBookAir. However, whilst travelling I disconnect the portable (external) drive and when reconnecting Dropbox fails to find the path back to the Dropbox folder on the external drive.

I have tried to change the path in the Dropbox advanced settings but all that does is create a Dropbox/Dropbox folder which would obviously defeat the purpose. 

Does anyone know how I can reconnect Dropbox to my external drive to ensure it continues to synch?

Thank you. 

12 Replies 12

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @HollisQueens - sorry to hear that.

Should you wish to re-install the Dropbox softw avoiding to re-download all of your files from the server, you need to choose the "Advanced" setup option during the installation process. Then you'll need to choose the parent folder of the existing Dropbox folder as the location for this new install.

For instance, if your old Dropbox folder was added to: C:\Desktop\Dropbox you would need to choose C:\Desktop and the client will try and create a new Dropbox folder. If you're connecting with the same Dropbox account as before, Dropbox will detect the existing folder and will then prompt you to merge the Dropbox folder. Upon merging the desktop version of Dropbox will check the existing files and the server versions and update accordingly.

Also, note that any changes made to the files in the Dropbox folder or on the web interface while the folder was "offline" will generate conflicted copies.

I hope this helps and let me know how it goes. Thank you! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

aggregatemusic
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Obviously, they cannot.  This situation is unresolved.  Sure makes housekeeping your computer (something I do once a year) a real PITA.  And a waste of gigabytes and gigabytes of internet traffic.  Software these days offers way to many features and not nearly enough support. They say this has been 'answered' at the top of the page.  Bull.  Happy re-downloading!

aggregatemusic
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

OK, here's the fix for Mac.  First, rename your existing folder of files on the external drive, I chose something appropriate, "ScrewedUpDropbox."  Then start from ground zero, quit DB and toss the folder it created on the system drive. Startup and relink to dropbox, let it create that folder on the system drive again and as soon as it starts syncing, pause it.  Go to Preferences, change the dropbox folder location to your External HD and hit OK through the prompts.  Wait for Dropbox to do its thing reloacting the folder.  Before unpausing, go to the external drive in the finder and move all of your folders in "ScrewedUpDropbox" into the newly created "Dropbox" folder that's now there.  Then unpause syncing.  It will resync to all your files without copying, takes a fraction of the time. Whew!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

aggregatemusic Helpful | Level 5
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    HollisQueens New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?