Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Reinstall Dropbox folder to a new drive

Explorer | Level 3

The hard drive on which I had my Dropbox folder failed. I'm trying to resync my DB folder to an existing drive. The resync option is greyed out and Dropbox says "connecting" but then comes a message the I'm not online which isn't the case. I've tried deleting Dropbox restarting, reinstalling and still no joy. Syncing options are greyed out and no new Dropbox folder appears on the system drive.

Any help is much appreciated.

9 Replies 9
Highlighted

Re: Reinstall Dropbox folder to a new drive

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi there @Strangor, let's see what we can find on this together. 

As a first step, could you try temporarily disabling any security or antivirus software running, as they may be preventing the desktop app from starting and syncing correctly?

Could you also make sure that you've configured your firewall to work with Dropbox

Let me know if this helps!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hey there Lusll, thanks for your response.

Yes, Dropbox is allowed in my firewall, both incoming and outgoing.

I disabled Windows Defender and did a reinstall which gives the message of a successful update but still—no joy.

A rollover of the icon in the system tray still says "connecting" and I still get a message that says my computer is offline, which it is not. The option to sync in the desktop app is still greyed out and it still says "This computer isn't linked to an account" but gives no option to link, only a greyed out option to "Unlink This Dropbox".

My thinking is that deleting the program isn't deleting everything, especially in the registry so the reinstall is just trying to update and not actually do a reinstall with a new Dropbox folder on the system drive.

Thanks in advance for any other ideas or thoughts on resolving this issue.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for check that out for me and for the additional info, @Strangor!

Hmm. In this case, you can also give an advanced reinstall a shot - maybe that will do the trick. 

Please bear in mind though that if you're on a Basic (free) account, there's a three device limit and you'll have to make sure that you've got less than three devices connected to proceed.

If you have any trouble along the way, just give me a shout and I'll make sure to get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks!

Lusil

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hello again Lusil, thank-you for getting back to me.

Tried the ‘advanced installer’ and still no joy. It is interesting that the “Offline Installer” immediately starts downloading files for installation. So I uninstalled again, rebooted and checked the closets for any remaining skeletons, disconnected from the web and tried the “Offline Installer” again. The first message I got was that my computer “is not connected” and there are no options to continue without the connection and a rollover of the icon in the system tray still says “connecting”. So, while I’m not certified in computer science, I do feel I’m computer literate and I’m stumped.

Since you are a ‘Dropboxer’ I’ll mention that the Advanced Install instructions are not complete enough for someone who is not familiar with uninstalling and the settings functions in Win 10.

Thanks for your efforts. I’ll let you know if I find any solution.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Click the Dropbox icon in the gadget tray or menu bar. Click Preferences (Linux), or your profile image or initials (macOS and Windows) Click Sync (on macOS you'll first want to click on Preferences…). Click Move… ... Select the new region for your Dropbox folder.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for the response.

I have no option to Move in the Sync tab.Dropbox Sync tab.JPG

The drive on which I had my Dropbox folder failed and had to be removed. Dropbox seems to insist on trying to find that Dropbox folder and will not establish a new one on the system drive even after deletion and reinstall, deletion and Advanced install.

As you can see above the Selective Sync… button is grayed out so I can't reselect folders to sync.

Also the Dropbox desktop app won't allow me to Unlink This Dropbox because it says my "computer isn't linked to an account".

Any other ideas or thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for checking those out, @Strangor

Out of curiosity, do you see the device connected to your account when you have a look through your Security tab on the website?

Lusil

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Lusil, it only shows me connected through Firefox when I'm connected directly to the Dropbox website, it does still show my laptop as a device. It does not show my desktop under devices.

It is interesting that it doesn't even show a history of my desktop as a device and I've frequently been using that folder on my desktop before the hard drive failure. A history does appear for the few times I've used my laptop.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for your swift reply, @Strangor

I've sent you a ticket to the email address associated with your Community profile to have more in-depth look on this.

When you get the chance, check your inbox for my latest message and we'll take it from there. 

Cheers!

Lusil

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?