cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reinstall created duplicate file set

Reinstall created duplicate file set

johndog1957
Explorer | Level 4

Hi, for reasons unrelated to DropBox, I had to revert my Windows 10 to an earlier date and reinstall DropBox.  The reinstall created a NEW local set with a suffix (1).  The new local set is synced to the cloud but is not INDEXED on this workstation; the old set is no longer synced to the cloud, but IS indexed on this workstation (for search, etc.) 

What is the best way to resolve this problem?  I could delete the old file set, but how do I force the new local file set to be indexed by the workstation?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Reinstall created duplicate file set

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for the screenshot @johndog1957!

What we can try instead is to first unlink your account from the desktop app. Then you can remove the "Dropbox" folder from your computer, leaving the (1) folder.

You can then launch the Dropbox app again and you'll be prompted to sign back into your account. After finishing the set up, a new Dropbox folder (just named "Dropbox") will be created.

You can then pause the syncing of the desktop app and move the data from the "Dropbox (1)" folder to the new "Dropbox" folder. Once moved, you can resume syncing and the app will simply re-index the files and not need to resync the contents.

Let me know how this goes!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for reaching out to us here @johndog1957!

In the case you described there, it appears that when reinstalling the desktop app it wasn't able to connect to the original folder and so created the (1) folder.

What you can do to relink the app to the original folder is to change the location through the desktop app preferences. You can follow the steps outlined here on how to choose a new location for the Dropbox folder. You'll need to choose the folder that the original Dropbox folder is within, not the Dropbox folder itself.

Eg. C:/Users/Documents instead of choosing C:/Users/Documents/Dropbox

Let me know how it goes!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

johndog1957
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Daphne,

Thsi did not appear to work for me.  The two folder sets are in the same location.  Using the steps noted, Dropbox seems to want to create yet another (1) folder, but cannot because one is already there.  I do not really want it to "move" the folder set, just repoint which existing folder set is synced.  Should I try to "move" it to a completely different location and then "move" it back once I have deleted the redundant set(s)?

Image1 DB.jpg

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for the screenshot @johndog1957!

What we can try instead is to first unlink your account from the desktop app. Then you can remove the "Dropbox" folder from your computer, leaving the (1) folder.

You can then launch the Dropbox app again and you'll be prompted to sign back into your account. After finishing the set up, a new Dropbox folder (just named "Dropbox") will be created.

You can then pause the syncing of the desktop app and move the data from the "Dropbox (1)" folder to the new "Dropbox" folder. Once moved, you can resume syncing and the app will simply re-index the files and not need to resync the contents.

Let me know how this goes!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

johndog1957
Explorer | Level 4

That seems to work, although instead of DELETING the old "Dropbox" folder I moved it to a new "Delete Later" folder.  That was important because after restarting, the old "Dropbox (1)" folder was EMPTY.  So I moved the existing files from the "Delete Later" folder into the new "Dropbox" folder. 

Thanks!

Daphne
Dropboxer

I'm glad to hear that @johndog1957!

I appreciate you're update here. If there's anything else that I can assist with, feel free to just give me a nudge here.

Hope you have a great weekend ahead!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Daphne Dropboxer
    johndog1957 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?