cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reinstallation after problems - now 2 Dropbox folders: How to get them together?

Reinstallation after problems - now 2 Dropbox folders: How to get them together?

loenne3000
Explorer | Level 4

Hi there!

Lately I was having problems with Dropbox on one of my notebooks until it finally did not start anymore at all. It said "Starting..." but did not get online and synchronize. I did not use this laptop for a while so that contents and structures in my dropbox changed quite a bit in the meantime.

When I needed the notebook again and dropbox on it, I had to uninstall dropbox and reinstall it. Strangely I had no choice where to install it, so it was installed on c: whereas the former dropbox was set on d:! Now I had two dropbox folders, one on c: (which was synchronized and had the new structure and contents) and the old one on d:.

Wanting to save the old dropbox contents I started copying files from the old to a folder in the new dropbox. BUT: in most cases, this was not possible, because I had put most of the contents on ONLY online in the old dropbox, so they literally did not exist on my disk to be copied.

What can I do? How can I get files ONLY ONLINE files bac to LOCAL in folders that are obviously not connected to dropbox anymore and synchronized?

Thanks in advance for some hints 🙂

Regards

Michel

1 Reply 1

Re: Reinstallation after problems - now 2 Dropbox folders: How to get them together?

Walter
Dropboxer

Hi @loenne3000; how are you today?

I'm not really sure I understand what's going here; could you send me a screenshot of the error you get when trying to copy or move files from your old Dropbox folder to your new one? 

Additionally, can you send me the app's exact status as shown within your computer's system tray/menu bar? Is it 'up to date' or still syncing? 

Also, when it comes to installing our desktop application, this has to be done on your  computer's primary drive so what you mentioned is actually expected and normal. When you move your Dropbox folder (through the app's preferences), the location your files are syncing to is changing - not the location of where our app is/was installed. 

In any case, I'll be waiting for your response to help look further into this. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?