cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reinstalling Dropbox. How to point to existing DB folder on external drive?

Reinstalling Dropbox. How to point to existing DB folder on external drive?

2k4s
Helpful | Level 5

My HD crashed on my Mac Pro running OS 10.11.6. So I had to get a new HD and reinstall all of my software.  But, my Dropbox folder wasn't in the usual location. It was actually on an external drive, which is still good. All the data is still there (over 350GB).  So when I resintall Dropbox, it wants to create a new dropbox folder on my new HD. But I want it to use the one that I already have which is on my external drive. When i tell the Dropbox app to set the Dropbox location to that external drive, it says there is an error "Can't create a Dropbox folder in the requested location". I don't want the dropbox folder on my boot HD. There is not enough space.  How do I do this?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Reinstalling Dropbox. How to point to existing DB folder on external drive?

2k4s
Helpful | Level 5
I'm replying to my own question because no one else came up with a solution. But this might help someone else in the future with a similar problem.

For some reason, my Mac OS X User account did not have write permissions on the drive that I wanted to use for the Dropbox folder. I was able to read and write to the drive using the finder but the dropbox application was not. I solved the issue by adding my Mac OS X admin account as a group on the drive properties and setting the permissions for it to "Read & Write". The everything worked as it should.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Rich
Super User II

Although the help articles now say that using an external drive is possible, it's still not supported and highly discouraged. Under the right conditions, data loss can occur.

If you're trying to point to an existing Dropbox folder, try to let it create a new folder and see if the error continues. Rename your old one to Dropbox_OLD or similiar. Point the installation to your external drive and finish the install. Files will start to sync. Immediately paus syncing or exit Dropbox and move your files from Dropbox_OLD to Dropbox. Resume syncing or launch Dropbox and allow it to index your files. This will take some time, so be patient.

2k4s
Helpful | Level 5
Thanks for replying Rich,
It's actually on a second internal drive inside the Mac, not really an external drive, but not the boot drive.
The Dropbox software setup did create a Dropbox folder on my boot drive and started to sync and then i paused it. I did change the name of the Dropbox folder to "Dropbox_OLD" and it didn't let me . I opened up preferences and went to "Account" and "Dropbox Location" and selected "other" and then I selected the root of my 2nd hard drive and it wouldn't do it. The error message is "Can't create a Dropbox folder in the requested location ".

2k4s
Helpful | Level 5
Hi, i'm not sure if you saw my reply, but this didn't work.

2k4s
Helpful | Level 5
I'm replying to my own question because no one else came up with a solution. But this might help someone else in the future with a similar problem.

For some reason, my Mac OS X User account did not have write permissions on the drive that I wanted to use for the Dropbox folder. I was able to read and write to the drive using the finder but the dropbox application was not. I solved the issue by adding my Mac OS X admin account as a group on the drive properties and setting the permissions for it to "Read & Write". The everything worked as it should.

GailEmm
New member | Level 2

I am sorry I do not know what you are saying.  Could you be quite speicific in what I need to click on and where I need to click it, I am not a rocket scientist sorry, please help me.  I have a windows 10 PC if that makes a difference.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

GailEmm New member | Level 2
    2k4s Helpful | Level 5
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?