cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reinstalling Dropbox on a new computer

Reinstalling Dropbox on a new computer

Mtang78
Explorer | Level 3

I just my computer redone and am reinstalling my apps. I copied all of my Dropbox files that were on my PC over to an external hard drive just to be safe. They are also in Dropbox. I told Dropbox to not connect to my PC anymore. Now that I have reinstalled the app on my PC, if I want to have some or all of the files on my PC and have them sync, I assume I just need to choose the files  to sync? Or do I really even need the Dropbox app on my PC? Can I just leave everything in Dropbox and just download the individual file(s) I need to work on and they would sync back to the cloud as usual? And if I have photos or other items to put on the cloud, I assume I would just tell it to upload to the cloud? 

I just want to make sure that the cloud doesn't look back at the PC and not see any files and then delete everything off of the cloud.

Thanks for you help!

1 Reply 1

Re: Reinstalling Dropbox on a new computer

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @Mtang78, thanks for contacting us!

If you have the Dropbox desktop application installed, then this would allow you sync files as normal between the computer and the site.

You could use selective sync to prevent entire folders from downloading, since there isn't a method to stop individual files from downloading.

You could still download files from the site, edit the files, and then re-upload them to the site directly, without needing the desktop app to be installed.

If you need any more details, feel free to message back!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?