cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Relative Link Paths (Indesign, Illustrator, Autocad, Vectorworks and co...)

Relative Link Paths (Indesign, Illustrator, Autocad, Vectorworks and co...)

emossi
New member | Level 2

Hi everyone,

Since I move to a new office I want to transfer all the content of my current backup server to Dropbox Pro and I am worried about loosing all the links in my Indesign files, as well as Autocad files etc.

Does anyone has a tip on how to avoid this?

Thank you very much.

4 Replies 4

Rich
Super User II

@emossi wrote:

You usually can't avoid it. Most programs use the full path when linking or embedding another file, and moving either the main file or the linked files will break the links.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@emossi wrote:

Hi @emossi,

The software you refer to usually save absolute path in links, as @Rich mentioned already. For software using relative links should not be any issue. So you shouldn't think about relative, but absolute paths in your links! This could be achieved placing your Dropbox folder on the same place (drive/partition and path) like the one used in old office, if possible. 😉 In such a way everything in Dropbox folder will keep the same absolute path like before.

Hope this helps.

emossi
New member | Level 2

Thank you both for your quick answers.

I am a bit unaware of things, but what happens if I just copy all my folder directely to Dropbox without changing any names to any folders (except the "original" hosting folder which then would be Dropbox instead of our current Server...)?

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

See, doesn't matter how you would copy your folder to or from! The only important thing here is: are all paths referred from everyone project point to the valid place (direct or indirect) in the new office or not? You have to take care for the absolute path for every one component (according to the configuration used). That's it.

Add: Would be the same for moving using Dropbox, flash drive, DVD-r, or any other way.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Здравко Legendary | Level 20
    emossi New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?