cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Relatively high memory usage not solvable?

Relatively high memory usage not solvable?

Not applicable

I guess this 'issue' is non-solvable because I tried everything I could find on this forum about the high memory use. After cold boot Dropbox uses between 220 and 260 MB of memory, after clicking the dropbox item in the menubar it uses between 350 and 400 MB. I'm seeing this on Mac but also on Windows Dropbox uses a lot of memory. Dropbox is also the top CPU using non-system application when 'idle'.

I would rather have Dropbox be honest about that this is just the way it is and not let users do useless things like advanced reinstalls that will not fix this issue. Maybe a slimmed down application would be a nice choice to have for most people? Maybe Dropbox could explain why the application uses this much memory, is it something they are working on? Is it due to Python which seems to be used for development?

On my workstation I care a bit less about memory usage because it has plenty of memory, but on my Macbook with 8GB I do not like processes consuming this much memory when doing nothing.

I'm curious how much memory Dropbox uses on other peoples systems, and if the numbers I see are just normal, or something is 'wrong'.

4 Replies 4

Re: Relatively high memory usage not solvable?

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

@anonymous wrote:

I'm curious how much memory Dropbox uses on other peoples systems, and if the numbers I see are just normal, or something is 'wrong'.

Hi @anonymous,

Can you define what is NORMAL? 😁😆 It something much relative! For somebody one thing is normal, for another person something else. By the way, you described very well what normal is for Dropbox. 😉 Is this wrong or not - it's your decision. My opinion it's poorly implemented, definitely. Just an example:

image.png

Here Dropbox application works with few tens files only - in total near 1GB (might be little bit more); engaged memory (together private and shared) - more than 300MB. The competitive application drives more than 300,000 files, few hundred GBs in total; engaged memory (together private and shared) - less than 80MB. When I load it heavy, the engaged memory rise up to 150MB at most, in same other conditions. On the screenshot both applications got catched in idle state. Is this normal?! 🤷

The decision is yours.

Not applicable

Indeed 'normal' is a bit difficult to define.. but what I mean is what does Dropbox find 'Normal'. I guess I do not expect an application that does 'nothing' at a point in time to not use this amount of memory, so I guess the Dropbox application is not implemented in the most efficient way possible.

Ioannis_T
Helpful | Level 6

I guess there is no solution to this, is there?

I came looking for a solution or workaround because DB eats up to 550MB or memory while sitting idle. I would understand this or more while syncing stuff but when idle? 

Walter
Dropboxer
Hey @Ioannis_T, thanks for joining the discussion here and happy November. 

When you say idle, I assume that you mean it's done syncing and it's showing 'up to date' in your system tray/menu bar - correct me if I'm wrong please.

Just to have a better look into this matter, could you let me know the version of our desktop app on the affected device? 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropboxer
    Ioannis_T Helpful | Level 6
    anonymous Not applicable
    Здравко Super Collaborator | Level 20
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?