cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Reminder - Windows XP support ending today (29/8)

Rich
Super User II

I can't even find a compatibility tab.

That refers to the Properties window of the shortcut used to launch Dropbox.

I am no "Super User" so would like to have some clarity - perhaps from Dropbox themselves

If you prefer a response from Dropbox, then you need to contact them. This is primarily a user-supported forum. To contact Dropbox you need to open a ticket with Support.

Anthony L.21
New member | Level 2

Hi Rich R.,

Thank you for that. I was getting very worked up about not being able to sort that out.

I walked away from it and was all but decided that I would migrate my files away to another product when I saw your response.

That was very helpful and for something so simple I am just surprised that Dropbox themselves did not deem fit to have something outlined for the lay-person in such clear terms. I think they could learn a lesson here about the value of decent customer service.

I have up-voted your comment and hope that it helps others as it did me.

Have a great day and thanks again.

Cheers

Tony

m s.23
Helpful | Level 5

can't see a (believable) excuse for this change. Why do it to users without any consultation? Our Server runs XP. Why keep it? because it just runs runs runs, never ever falls over and is super-stable. Apparently I'm supposed to bin this for Win10 which consumes MASSIVE amounts of resources/diskspace, which is real problem on older machines.

Also this policy of dropbox is un-environmental as I'm supposed to bin old machines and buy new ones, (which I suppose ultimately gives more work to chinese children dismantling them etc...)

G B.1
Explorer | Level 4

Wow. This topic is even pinned 🙂
Wonder if DB will do something about it if they collect enough voices? I already added mine 🙂

But most likely they won't. Because of MONEY. Same reason MS pushes its terrifying new Windows versions. They get worse and worse, but brainwash (they call it marketing) does the trick. People buy.

Same here. Selling useless updates makes more money than XP users support.

To hell XP users 🙂

Rich
Super User II

Wonder if DB will do something about it if they collect enough voices?

No, they won't. XP support is over and it will not be coming back. And the reasons they won't have been clearly stated.

G B.1
Explorer | Level 4

the reasons they won't have been clearly stated

They were stated by me, in the same post, if you didn't realize

Alexis G.1
Super User
m s.

can't see a (believable) excuse for this change.

Excuse?

Why do it to users without any consultation?

They need to remove XP in order to keep Dropbox up to date, with better performance, compatible and better security features. They have valid reasons.

Not the same for example Apple don't consult users when they removed the stereo headphone plug in the new Iphone, right? Microsoft don't consulted users when they forced automatic updates in Windows 10.

Our Server runs XP.

Bad. A server must run Windows Server 2008, 2008R2, 2012, 2012 R2 ,etc (not XP, or 7, or 8, or 10).

Why keep it? because it just runs runs runs, never ever falls over and is super-stable.

Yes, but is 15 years old technology. XP don't support the new API.

Apparently I'm supposed to bin this for Win10 which consumes MASSIVE amounts of resources/diskspace, which is real problem on older machines.

You can get a cheap 500USD machine running Windows 10.

Also this policy of dropbox is un-environmental as I'm supposed to bin old machines and buy new ones, (which I suppose ultimately gives more work to chinese children dismantling them etc...)

XP don't support the new API and XP is old, very old.

JOE K.17
Not applicable

Oh dear, still with the new API thing. Like a dog with a bone.

See previous posts.

Richard P.
Super User alumni

Which ones in particular, Brian?

Brian1
Collaborator | Level 10

Google Drive desktop app ending support for Windows XP, Vista and Server 2003

10/27/2016

Today, we’re announcing that on January 1, 2017 we will discontinue support for the Google Drive desktop app on Windows XP, Vista and Server 2003 since these platforms are no longer actively supported by Microsoft. The Google Drive desktop app (officially: "Google Drive for Mac/PC") will continue to function on these platforms, but will not be actively tested and maintained. If you are still on one of these unsupported platforms, we encourage you to move to a newer version of Windows to continue using Google Drive desktop app.

https://gsuiteupdates.googleblog.com/2016/10/Drive-desktop-app-ending-support-windows-xp-vista-serve...

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Need more support?