cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reminder - Windows XP support ending today (29/8)

Reminder - Windows XP support ending today (29/8)

Richard P.
Super User alumni

Dropbox is ending support for Windows XP computers today, August 29th 2016.

Dropbox clients on Windows XP systems will no longer sync any data to or from the Dropbox servers, so you need to be aware that any changes you make to files within a Dropbox folder on a Windows XP computer will NOT appear in your Dropbox account online or on other computers linked to your account. Similarly, changes made via the website or other computers will not be synced to a Windows XP based computer.

You can still access your Dropbox folder via the website ( www.dropbox.com ) or via other computers running a supported operating system (Windows Vista or above, Mac OSX 10.6.8 or above, or various mobile devices).

139 Replies 139

Re: Reminder - Windows XP support ending today (29/8)

Rick M.
Experienced Collaborator | Level 13

Could maybe possibly LAN Sync work???

Richard P.
Super User alumni

No, because LAN Sync is controlled by the Dropbox servers, and the clients will be signed out.

Rick M.
Experienced Collaborator | Level 13

Guess I'll have to move to Box. (Easier to spell too)

Chris P.82
New member | Level 1

Would have been nice to ask your users. You are bound to start losing support. Where will this stop. I am using Windows 7 will this be taken away as well soon

Kathleen Z.3
New member | Level 2

I have an XP system. Now that I can't use dropbox on my desktop, should I remove it from my computer and still access dropbox using dropbox.com?

Jim P.24
New member | Level 1

I am a teacher.  We often have OLD computer equipment.  I have 26 Windows XP computers in my classroom.  You just made A LOT of extra daily work for me.  I loved having Dropbox do all the work of synchronizing the files.  Now I have to do it myself.  I love Dropbox, but this makes me very sad and angry because it will be so much more work.  I already spend hundreds of dollars on different programs for my classroom.  I can't just go out and spend God knows how many thousands of dollars on Windows 7 for these computers and the District hasn't upgraded these computers in many years.  😞

Kelly H.27
New member | Level 1

I will look into Box - thanks for the lead, Rick M. 

I have many computer clients still using XP perfectly, knowing they cannot get MS support, but functioning quite nicely. The difference between MS dropping support (cited as a reason by DB) and DB dropping support, is that MS still allows uses to USE their software/it functions - they just can't call for support. DB restricted access starting today for functionality that worked FINE on XP yesterday - what DB has done is lazy.  Great product, but someone made a really poor business decision. 

I am bailing, and when I find something that works with all OSs, I will migrate all my clients, not just those on XP.  I told this to DB months ago, but they did not care.  I feel bad for people like Jim P, but I think we are shouting into a bucket.  It at least feels good to say how I feel here , but I have to tell everyone I recommended DB to that it was not a good product after all. 

Like another user said, next they will restrict Vista, then Windows 7, so cut your losses and find something with more client flexibility now.  I intend to post this on epinions and comparison sites, to give others the heads up that unless you are in on the latest Win OSs, don't bother wasting your time.

Sken z.
New member | Level 1

Well, I have a Dropbox running on Windows 7 and I can't log in now because my "computer is not supported". Yesterday everything worked fine.

Robert S.
Super User alumni

Guess I'll have to move to Box. (Easier to spell too)

Good luck with that, Box ended support for Vista and XP on October 31, 2014.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Brian1 Collaborator | Level 10
    Richard P. Super User alumni
    JOE K.17 Not applicable
    Alexis G.1 Super User
    G B.1 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?