cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Get summer ready with Dropbox basic - travel documents, plans, progress reminders and more, right over here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove a recent file from my notifications tab

Remove a recent file from my notifications tab

DanLester
Helpful | Level 6

I'm using Dropbox on Mac ElCapitan. I have the Dropbox icon on my menubar at top right. I click on that, look at Recent Files, and there's a file that I last used three or four months ago that was shared with me. It doesn't mean anything to me anymore. How do I make it go away?? When I log in to dropbox.com, and go to my files - shared and otherwise, that file doesn't appear. What's putting it under the Dropbox icon in my menubar??

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: make a filename go away!

Mark
Super User II
Walt - there is no need AT ALL for a ticket!

The issue is exactly as we've said. The last time a file was accessed was 7 weeks ago. That file is sitting in the Recents list. You cannot clear that list. It is, however, odd that it is still sitting there, but thats been an issue with this implementation since day 1 - you couldnt clear anything originally.

Everything is working exactly as it should be.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Walter
Dropboxer

Hey there @DanLester - Welcome to the Dropbox Forum!

First off, did you reboot your computer at all after getting this error? A screenshot of the problem would greatly help dig into this so if you don't mind please attach one showing what you described so I can provide you with more suggestions or tips.

In the meantime, as I think this could be related to your Finder not refreshing the window correctly, I would recommend that you follow these steps:

1. Save any files that you might have open and close any applications too.
2. Click on the Apple icon in the top left of your screen
3. Click on "force quit"
4. Relaunch the Finder.

Please let me know what you find and we'll take it from there Dan! Thank you in advance for your response. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!

Mark
Super User II
DanLester - at a guess all you actually need to do is click on the Dropbox icon and right click on it and select 'Dismiss'.

(Some older versions had it as 'Report as Spam').

If you do not get those options make sure you are using a newish version of Dropbox: www.dropbox.com/downloading

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

DanLester
Helpful | Level 6

OK, here's what it looks like (with some anonymization). This filename has been there for more than a month, and has endured computer reboots and Finder restarts. If I right-click on the filename, I'm not given any choices. "Dismiss"? Sounds nice, but it ain't there.

shot.jpg

Mark
Super User II
Thanks for the screen grab,

Sadly it isnt possible to clear that screen - it only works on the 'notifications' part. It will vanish as other files are added, changed or edited within your Dropbox. So that means, basically, you've edited or changed nothing at all in Dropbox in the past 7 weeks 🙂

Note: you definitely dont need to do what Walt3R suggested 🙂

DanLester
Helpful | Level 6
Yes, I only use Dropbox every month or so. But it strikes me as a little odd that long outdated stuff only disappears as you add new stuff. 7 weeks old doesn't make it a "Recent File".

Walter
Dropboxer

Thanks for your quick update on this Dan! 

As this would require some account specific information would you mind if I reached out to you via email so we can look into this together with all of our tools available? If you'd prefer to do this from your end, you can log a ticket here and then track it here

Let me know how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there Dan. 

In the meantime, please give our offline installer a try too and let me know if this helped in your next reply. Last thing I would also try if I were in your shoes, would be to unlink and re-link your Mac computer to your Dropbox account as this would reset your configuration settings and might help resolve the visual issue you seem to be having.

Thanks!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Mark
Super User II
Walt - there is no need AT ALL for a ticket!

The issue is exactly as we've said. The last time a file was accessed was 7 weeks ago. That file is sitting in the Recents list. You cannot clear that list. It is, however, odd that it is still sitting there, but thats been an issue with this implementation since day 1 - you couldnt clear anything originally.

Everything is working exactly as it should be.

DanLester
Helpful | Level 6
Thank you. All is clear. It's a bit strange, but at least it's clear!

Walter
Dropboxer

Hey @Mark true story - seems like I have jumped up the gun here. 

Apologies for this @DanLester - Mark is absolutely right in this case since as he mentioned, it isn't currently possible to clear items in the Recents list. We value user input immensely and are always looking to incorporate it into our products so I'll make sure that your comments about this are passed along to the dev team.

If there's anything else I can do to help, please let me know and apologies for my misunderstanding. 

[This thread is now closed. If you experience further issues, feel free to get back in touch on the Dropbox Community, we'd be glad to follow-up. ]

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Which Dropbox Plan do you have?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropboxer
    DanLester Helpful | Level 6
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?