cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove .local file from Mac

Remove .local file from Mac

jackbkennedy
Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

Drop box is tracking my /Desktop, /Downloads and /Documents directories on My Mac with a .local folder.

I want to remove this but I cannot find out how to unlink them.

There seems to be some sort of symlink but I cannot remove it from the terminal. They look like this

lrwx------@   1 username  staff        63 18 Aug 23:25 Desktop -> /Users/username/Dropbox/My Mac (User-MacBook.local)/Desktop.

Has anyone been also to stop these folders from being tracked? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Remove .local file from Mac

Walter
Dropboxer

Hi there @jackbkennedy; welcome to our Community!

It seems that you enabled the computer backup feature at some point on your computer. 

Could you try these steps to disable it and let me know if you're still having issues with this? 

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Walter
Dropboxer

Hi there @jackbkennedy; welcome to our Community!

It seems that you enabled the computer backup feature at some point on your computer. 

Could you try these steps to disable it and let me know if you're still having issues with this? 

Thanks!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

jgfellows
Explorer | Level 3

I tried to follow the instructions left to Walter to no avail.  My dropbox is overfull and i really would like to unlink my mac backup and keep them on my computer.

Daphne
Dropboxer
Thanks for posting @jgfellows!

Can you clarify for me exactly what didn't work when you followed the steps Walter suggested?

If you were able to disable the backup feature, but the files remained in Dropbox, can you try moving them from the backup folder in Dropbox to another location on your computer?

Otherwise, please feel free to send along some screenshots of where you're getting stuck with this.

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

jgfellows
Explorer | Level 3

step 1 open preferences no problem therestep 1 open preferences no problem thereClick backups tab again no problem but the next step is click manage backups and there is no button for thatClick backups tab again no problem but the next step is click manage backups and there is no button for thatIf I choose the set up button it takes me to this page.  I can uncheck the three folders but there is no save and it reverts to backing up all three folders when I close outIf I choose the set up button it takes me to this page. I can uncheck the three folders but there is no save and it reverts to backing up all three folders when I close out

jgfellows
Explorer | Level 3

I don't know why this was closed.  I am still in need of help with this issue

Walter
Dropboxer
Thanks for the nudge here @jgfellows.

May I reach out via email to have a further look into this?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

jgfellows
Explorer | Level 3
of course. [removed per the Community's Guidelines]

Walter
Dropboxer
Thanks a bunch @jgfellows; you've got :envelope: 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?