cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing Offline files from mobile device

Removing Offline files from mobile device

wlcutler
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have all of a sudden run out of space on my Samsung Android phone. My cache shows as empty. My next thought is to remove some of the files I have downloaded for Offline viewing.

1. Do I have to do this one-by-one each file in the folder?

2. When I select the dropdown next to a file, there is a Delete option. When I click that, it says "Are you sure you want to remove this file from your Dropbox?". I do not want to delete it from the Dropbox that is out there on the internet and is on my desktop. I assume that answer is "no".

I see the Available offline toggle. Do I have to toggle them one-by-one, each of the 200 or so files?

When I did some, I saw that the amount of cache increased. When I cleared it, the total amount of space on the phone did not decrease any. How do I realize the free space from not having those files available Offline?

Thanks.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

dguarino
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello,

the answer to question (1) is 'yes'.

You have to toggle each file in the folder. It is a bit annoying when you have a lot of files.

the answer to question (2), as you already know, is 'no'.

That 'delete' is the deletion of of the file from your dropbox account.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

dguarino
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello,

the answer to question (1) is 'yes'.

You have to toggle each file in the folder. It is a bit annoying when you have a lot of files.

the answer to question (2), as you already know, is 'no'.

That 'delete' is the deletion of of the file from your dropbox account.

wlcutler
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thank you. I have now un-Offlined them one-by-one and cleared the cache. I cleared some other cache locations I could find before that, and a few maps, and freed up 700kb of storage, which took me out of danger, but just barely. When I un-Offlined the rest of the files, which show as 50mb on my desktop, and cleared the cache, I now have another 3gb of free storage, lots of space. 

dguarino
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Glad I helped!

Elguezio
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This is horrendous UX. I have hundreds of offline files that were marked offline in bulk by accident. Removing them one at a time will take ages. It looks like I'll have to uninstall Dropbox

UPDATE: clearing app storage (long press on app, app info, storage, clear storage) removed all offline files in one go.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior or have a question, feel free to Ask for help from the Community here.]

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Elguezio New member | Level 2
    dguarino New member | Level 2
    wlcutler Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?