cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Renaming files: windows re-selects entire filename when other files resync

Renaming files: windows re-selects entire filename when other files resync

AcerbicMaelin
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Found a reproducible annoyance in Windows 10 with Dropbox. I often cycle through a lot of folders using the tab key to rename them one at a time, and this produces an issue where, as soon as the Dropbox app has synced the previous file, Windows highlights all text in the currently-being-edited filename, even if I am tapping through it.

To reproduce:

1. Open a folder containing many files that is currently synced in Dropbox
  2. Click on a file name twice (not doubleclick) to begin renaming it. Rename it however.
  3. Press the Tab key to flick down to the next file in the folder. If the previous filename was still in the 'editing' mode then you will automatically be editing the next filename.
  4. Quickly start using the arrow keys or Home/End to move around in the filename but do not start typing
  5. After a second or two, when the Dropbox App has re-synced the file you previously renamed, Windows will highlight the entire filename that you are currently arrowing-around in - maybe just as you were about to start typing.

I suspect this has something to do with updating the little blue and green file icon overlays.

If you were just about to start inserting some text somewhere in a filename, but hadn't started typing yet, then the fact that the filename has just re-highlighted itself might cause you to overwrite the entire filename instead of inserting the part you were planning.

When doing this with many files this can be a real annoyance. Is a fix possible?

89 Replies 89

alexonskiPGC
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Further update from Dropbox support is that there is no ETA for a fix, quoting from their update on my support request below:

Sep 17, 2020, 11:38 PM PDT:

Currently, the Engineering team are unable to provide an exact timeframe as to when the file renaming issue will be fixed. For the moment, the workaround is to pause syncing and then rename the files.

We'll make sure to let you know once an update becomes available.

jcs581
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

So glad I discovered this thread, been having this issue as well ( Windows 10, Dropbox v106.4.368 ). For what it's worth, it seems to only happen when the file is newly placed or renamed in dropbox - just within the last few seconds. At least now I know what's happening and have a simple enough work-around to help ease the frustration. Hope this helps other folks out.

kmecpp
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Also having this issue. Hope a fix can be implemented as soon as possible.

Very inconvenient to have dropbox turned off all the time 😞

Ben H.27
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

To sort of work around this problem, I've created the following AutoHotkey script which is triggered by Ctrl + R and, every time, moves the text cursor to just before the file extension:

GroupAdd, FileExplorer, ahk_class CabinetWClass ; Normal window
GroupAdd, FileExplorer, ahk_class #32770, ShellView ; Save as / open window
GroupAdd, FileExplorer, ahk_class WorkerW ; Desktop view

; FileExplorer_GetSelection() is from a third party
FileExplorer_GetSelection(){
	WinGetClass, winClass, % "ahk_id" . hWnd := WinExist("A")
	if !(winClass ~="Progman|WorkerW|(Cabinet|Explore)WClass")
		Return

shellWindows := ComObjCreate("Shell.Application").Windows
	if (winClass ~= "Progman|WorkerW")
		shellFolderView := shellWindows.FindWindowSW(0, 0, SWC_DESKTOP := 8, 0, SWFO_NEEDDISPATCH := 1).Document
	else {
		for window in shellWindows
			if (hWnd = window.HWND) && (shellFolderView := window.Document)
				break
	}
	for item in shellFolderView.SelectedItems
		result .= (result = "" ? "" : "`n") . item.Path
	if !result
		result := shellFolderView.Folder.Self.Path
	Return result
}

Move_TextCursorToEndOfFileOrFolderName(Name){
	SendInput, {End}

DotPosition := InStr(Name, ".", False, 0) ; 0 makes it search from the right-hand side

If ((Name != "") And (DotPosition)){
		Length := StrLen(Name)
		MoveAmount := Length - DotPosition + 1 ; + 1 ensures that the text cursor is moved to the left-hand side of the file extension
		SendInput, {Left %MoveAmount%}
	}
}

#If WinActive("ahk_group FileExplorer")
	; Ctrl and R → Invoke file rename, deselect whole file name, and move text cursor to (1) the end of the name if a folder or extensionless file or (2) the end of the file name but before the file extension.
	^r::
		Path := FileExplorer_GetSelection()
		SendInput, {F2}
		SplitPath, Path, Name
		Move_TextCursorToEndOfFileOrFolderName(Name)
	Return
#If

I hope it helps others while this problem remains.

Joe95
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Love the script @Ben H.27, I have a few similar work arounds using AHK so it's nice to see a fellow user!

One question on your code, you have it set to trigger on Ctrl + R, however this is the 'refresh window' shortcut, do you find that causes any issues?

Just wondering if a different trigger key would be more useful, or if it isn't a problem to begin with?

Ben H.27
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi @Joe95 

Thank you!

Personally, I've always used F5 to refresh applications so it hasn't been a problem for me but anyone can set their own hotkey by replacing "^r" with a different combination (refer to https://www.autohotkey.com/docs/Hotkeys.htm).

Ben.

Oli_W
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
...and now they’ve made it an extra click to pause syncing (now have to choose how long to pause for). It’s getting more and more annoying!

samuelguerin
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have 10 professionnal licences, 200$ per month. Just reading Daphné's answers got me even more upset. Reading customers situation and gaining time by asking annoying questions ''which versions we are using'' when you are completely aware of what is going on. 

If you can't fix it, tell us. 

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @samuelguerin!

As mentioned here, our team are indeed aware of the issue and would like to investigate further into this via our Support channel.

If you'd like to do so, please let me know and I'd be happy to reach out and create a ticket for you. Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

mfoxrb
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Hey everyone,

A partial workaround I've been using is Bulk Rename Utility. It's a powerful app that functions basically as the name implies. If you need to make a lot of specific/similar edits to file names, this avoids the Dropbox issue. You can download it here: https://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/

It's free for personal use, but requires a paid license for business/professional use.
Need more support?