cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Renaming files: windows re-selects entire filename when other files resync

Renaming files: windows re-selects entire filename when other files resync

AcerbicMaelin
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Found a reproducible annoyance in Windows 10 with Dropbox. I often cycle through a lot of folders using the tab key to rename them one at a time, and this produces an issue where, as soon as the Dropbox app has synced the previous file, Windows highlights all text in the currently-being-edited filename, even if I am tapping through it.

To reproduce:

1. Open a folder containing many files that is currently synced in Dropbox
  2. Click on a file name twice (not doubleclick) to begin renaming it. Rename it however.
  3. Press the Tab key to flick down to the next file in the folder. If the previous filename was still in the 'editing' mode then you will automatically be editing the next filename.
  4. Quickly start using the arrow keys or Home/End to move around in the filename but do not start typing
  5. After a second or two, when the Dropbox App has re-synced the file you previously renamed, Windows will highlight the entire filename that you are currently arrowing-around in - maybe just as you were about to start typing.

I suspect this has something to do with updating the little blue and green file icon overlays.

If you were just about to start inserting some text somewhere in a filename, but hadn't started typing yet, then the fact that the filename has just re-highlighted itself might cause you to overwrite the entire filename instead of inserting the part you were planning.

When doing this with many files this can be a real annoyance. Is a fix possible?

89 Replies 89

Matthias C.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Also experiencing the same issue, have been for years. If I can help in fixing this, please open a ticket for me.

Windows 10 20H2

Dropbox 112.4.321

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for joining the discussion @Matthias C.

I've just sent you a brief message to the email linked with your profile here. When you have the chance, please get back to me there - cheers!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

erikjart
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

As people have stated, old issue been happening for a few years, happens daily still today.

I can help out too if your devs still would like more input.

(I am also interested if you think I could be of help testing early 64-bit Win10 app or fixes for better throttle of CPU usage and Drive read/write use which still bottleneck my machines either at startup or throughout workdays.)

I have a Dropbox Pro subscription.

Specs:

Laptop: Asus F555L Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 19041)

Dropbox 112.4.321

At home media workstation desktop PC Windows 10 Pro/Corp 64-bit1, probably latest Dropbox there too.

I do media work (Photoshop, blender...) and usually have a budget laptop and a fast enough last-gen desktop PC but rarely present-gen or next-gen specs (so i3/i5 or older i7, 8/24GB RAM, SSD on PCI, 100/10 home broadband on wifi).

I also use the android dropbox app.

Thanks for still looking into this issue, Daphne and colleagues!

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Much appreciated @Erik j.11!

I've sent you an email too, so please check your inbox for my message and we'll take it from there - thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

yasinozen
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi,

I've been having the same issue for years.

I'm regularly renaming files and this issue makes me lose a lot of time and nerves.

Thanks for looking into it!

Windows 10 64bit

Dropbox v112.4.321

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for the nudge here @yasinozen.

When you have the chance, please check your inbox for my email - cheers!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Episode10
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

This happens to me in win10 File Explorer all the time, perhaps it's a OS problem.

In Fact I try to delay all my file renaming and sorting work for when using linux as windows does untold crazy **bleep** to the point I deleted a whole folder of over 2000 files that I had spent hours sorting and renaming and deleting duplicates, due to not noticing a window I had minimised while a large file deletion was in progress had stolen focus and I thought, as I'm experiencing a lot lately that the mouse click did not work and the finalising of  what I was doing did not happen, the window that stole focus had similar files to the one I had emptied but was the finalized work which needed to be transferred to other backups of those same files, luckily I was able to restore them ... which meant I had to find 40 files which were unwanted which got restored as well FFS M$ ... you should have that **bleep** sorted by now!

JB40
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I also rename files frequently and have been experiencing this issue on multiple machines for quite a while. I also assumed it was a Windows 10 issue but now seeing that this is an issue Dropbox has been aware of for literally years and has been unable to fix. We have multiple business licenses for our company, can you provide a timeline as to when this may be fixed?

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @Episode10 & @JB40; thanks for your reports here. 

If you notice this after performing an advanced reinstall, may we reach out via email to investigate further?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

JB40
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I've done an advanced re-install and have still encountered the behavior. It might be occurring less frequently but that may  just be me imagining it. Regardless, it is not corrected with an advanced reinstall.

Need more support?