cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Renaming files: windows re-selects entire filename when other files resync

Renaming files: windows re-selects entire filename when other files resync

AcerbicMaelin
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Found a reproducible annoyance in Windows 10 with Dropbox. I often cycle through a lot of folders using the tab key to rename them one at a time, and this produces an issue where, as soon as the Dropbox app has synced the previous file, Windows highlights all text in the currently-being-edited filename, even if I am tapping through it.

To reproduce:

1. Open a folder containing many files that is currently synced in Dropbox
  2. Click on a file name twice (not doubleclick) to begin renaming it. Rename it however.
  3. Press the Tab key to flick down to the next file in the folder. If the previous filename was still in the 'editing' mode then you will automatically be editing the next filename.
  4. Quickly start using the arrow keys or Home/End to move around in the filename but do not start typing
  5. After a second or two, when the Dropbox App has re-synced the file you previously renamed, Windows will highlight the entire filename that you are currently arrowing-around in - maybe just as you were about to start typing.

I suspect this has something to do with updating the little blue and green file icon overlays.

If you were just about to start inserting some text somewhere in a filename, but hadn't started typing yet, then the fact that the filename has just re-highlighted itself might cause you to overwrite the entire filename instead of inserting the part you were planning.

When doing this with many files this can be a real annoyance. Is a fix possible?

89 Replies 89

Alexei B.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Sadly for me, and probably for most of other ppl, that works with word/excel templates and copypaste and rename only couple of files all the time, making new folders etc, it just aint reasonable to use another app, in that case you just need to develop a habit to wait 3 seconds before editing.

I have a very fast computer, with very fast harddrive, and still i see Windows "refreshing" my **bleep** folder in slowmotion, and for some reason, those that programmed that function, decided that they need to reselect after refreshing. I even notice a lag AFTER renaming, pressing enter, it can take 3 seconds for the file to "get sorted" after filename for example. Never had this problem in old windows 7...

Joe95
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Then it looks like until Dropbox and Windows can collaborate on fixing this issue, we will have to continue pausing DB when renaming multiple files then unpausing after.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Joe95 wrote:

Then it looks like until Dropbox and Windows can collaborate on fixing this issue ...

It's not a Dropbox issue, at all. The same thing happens in any folder if Windows updates the folder while you're working in it. Start a download in your browser. Go to your Downloads folder while the folder is downloading and start renaming a file. If the download completes while you're renaming the file, Windows will update the folder with the newly downloaded file and stop you from renaming the other file.

It's completely an operating system issue, and one that I doubt Microsoft will ever spend any time on.

Joe95
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

@Rich wrote:

It's not a Dropbox issue, at all. The same thing happens in any folder if Windows updates the folder while you're working in it. Start a download in your browser. Go to your Downloads folder while the folder is downloading and start renaming a file. If the download completes while you're renaming the file, Windows will update the folder with the newly downloaded file and stop you from renaming the other file.

It's completely an operating system issue, and one that I doubt Microsoft will ever spend any time on.

Then there would be no reason for the Dropbox team, in this very thread, to ask:

"If you notice this after performing an advanced reinstall, may we reach out via email to investigate further?"

If it's solely a Windows issue, which I basically agree with, then what difference would an advanced reinstall of Dropbox make?

Unless you're suggesting Dropbox is just trying to waste our time with this potential solution? Which I disagree with.

GenghisQuan
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

It is March 30th, of the year 2021, and I am still plagued by this cursed nightmare.

I've resorted to moving the files from Dropbox into a local "Renaming" folder.

I don't know how much longer I can endure this.

If you're out there, just know that you are not alone.

Oli_W
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

A one-click PAUSE button would be nice and help us a lot. It used to be easier to pause than it is now - just ON/OFF. Now we have to choose how long to pause for. 

AntennaMan
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Following. 

Same issue. 

grobbio
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

you can CTRL+click the dropbox icon to show the old menu with the on/off pause.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
 Hey @AntennaMan!

Thanks for following up with us!

It looks like this is not a Dropbox specific issue, and it's appearing with other cloud programs as well.

Now, it'd be wise to note, that since this isn't an issue caused by Dropbox or pertaining just to us, we're not able to provide a precise solution.

I'd definitely suggest checking in with Microsoft about this, as well just to make sure you've exhausted all options and to also let them know about this. 

Give me a nudge if you have any other questions!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

AntennaMan
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks for your reply and the confirmation of what I expected. That's a lot of pressure... To know that a company with a product with 700 million users, is relying on ME to effect change by contacting another company with 1 billion users. 

I'll call Bill right away. 

Need more support?