cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Require password for dropbox app on PC?

Require password for dropbox app on PC?

JohnNobody
Explorer | Level 3

I have the Dropbox app installed on my PC.  I changed the password via dropbox.com on Chrome and restarted my PC.

After the restart, I'm still logged into the dropbox app and have full control over all my files.  

I really don't want this. Can I password protect the app?  

2 Replies 2

Re: Require password for dropbox app on PC?

Rich
Super User II

@JohnNobody wrote:

After the restart, I'm still logged into the dropbox app and have full control over all my files.

This is because your password is only used to link your computer to your Dropbox account. Once linked, the app uses a secure token for authentication. You can unlink your computer (revoking the secure token) from the Security page in your account.

There is no option to require a password each time you open the desktop app. Secure your computer instead, then the entire thing is protected.

Re: Require password for dropbox app on PC?

JohnNobody
Explorer | Level 3

I just confirmed that my other PC that has the dropbox app on it still has access after a dropbox password change, even if the user quits the application and restarts their PC.  IMHO, at a bare minimum, the OAuth tokens on all client systems should be invalidated after password change.  Seems like this could be easily accomplished via the API during the password change.  That would seem to be much more in line with the user expectation.   

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

JohnNobody Explorer | Level 3
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?