cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retrieving the dropbox folder to get my files back.

Retrieving the dropbox folder to get my files back.

Explorer | Level 4

I hope I am in the right board but I installed dropbox but decided I didn't want it and thought I had uninstalled it.  For some reason it has moved all my files into the application and while doing some tidying up today, I noticed that all my files still in dropbox have disappeared.  Apple have managed to locate the files but I need to reinstall dropbox which has vanished and worried I might not get anything back. Can you advise

4 Replies 4

Re: Retrieving the dropbox folder to get my files back.

Dropboxer

Hey there @almand19; welcome to our Community!

Can you please clarify if you're referring to the computer backup feature or if you had somehow copied or moved those files into your Dropbox folder on your computer while our desktop app was syncing at some point? 

Were you able to find or restore any of those files via our website, be it through the deleted files page or the even the events page

Let me know what you find!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 4

I thought I had removed the dropbox folder but it appears the folder was still in my harddrive so I guess I'm talking about desktop/computer harddrive.  I stopped the syncing as I know I have large files and really didn't want this in the first place. Now I have lost all my files on my computer. 

I want to know if I can restore the dropbox folder with my files in them. 

Explorer | Level 4

I'm still waiting for a reply.  I appreciate that you are busy but I need to know if I can retreive lost files. It's easier to explain on the phone. 

Dropboxer

Hi @almand19, are you trying to recover files from the Dropbox site? Were there any deleted files or events as mentioned by my colleague?

If you are installing the Dropbox desktop application using an advanced reinstall, any files on the site would automatically download to the computer, and wouldn't be copied across from the old Dropbox folder you found. If need be, you could drag and drop them into the new Dropbox folder so they can sync up to the site.

Any other info or screenshots would be helpful!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?