cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revolving Cursor when files are selected in Dropbox folder

Revolving Cursor when files are selected in Dropbox folder

Ed P.
Explorer | Level 3

I have encountered problems with the cursor changing from an arrow to a revolving circle when a file in Dropbox is clicked within my Windows Explorer menu.  I am currently using the free version of Dropbox on my Windows 10 PC and I also have two iPhone that connect to Dropbox to make those files available on the iPhones.  When I decide to select a file within the Dropbox folder using Windows Explorer it immediately turns to a blue revolving circle and continues to revolve for a period of time before the menu allow me to open, copy, or move the file.  Does anyone have a suggestion on how I can initiate a more prompt action on my selection?

6 Replies 6

Re: Revolving Cursor when files are selected in Dropbox folder

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hi there @Ed P. - let's see what we can do on this together. 

Could you first let me know which version of the desktop app you're running, as well as confirming the syncing status of the desktop app?

You can do that by hovering over the Dropbox icon that's next to your computer's clock. 

Also, if you haven't already, try rebooting your computer - maybe that will do the trick. 

Give me a shout with any updates, thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Ed P.
Explorer | Level 3

Lusil,

Thank you for the reply.  I have used Dropbox for close to 15 years, but only use it to temporarily store a few data files, photos, documents, or spreadsheets for me to access when I am moving around.  I rarely use more than a half Gigabyte.  The content is in one Dropbox folder with four subfolders and I access those from my Windows 10 PC using Windows Explorer and never access Dropbox from the icon, only from Windows Explorer.  Almost all file modifications are done from the Windows 10 PC.  

When I move around I look at the content on my iPhones and just view the data.  I rarely add any files to Dropbox from the iPhones.  So the data on the PC Syncs to two different iPhones.

I am using Dropbox Version 117.4.378.  The Dropbox folder is in the list of folders below Quick Access and has a green circle with check mark.  Inside the Dropbox folder are four subfolders with data files, documents, photos, etc.  Each has a green circle with check mark.  Each of the files within the subfolders has a green circle with check mark overlaying the icon for the file.

I have rebooted the computer many times and it doesn't resolve the problem.  If I click on the Dropbox folder within Windows Explorer it will change the cursor to a blue spinning circle and it will spin for thirty or forty seconds and then finally stop and then I can access a file.  The click, start spinning, and stop after that period of time continues to repeat itself every time I try to access Dropbox files.

Thank you for your assistance in advance.  Ed P.

Lusil
Dropboxer
Just to make sure that we cover as much initial troubleshooting as possible, could you make sure that you don't have any pending OS updates?

Also, could you temporarily close any third party apps, like security software and antivirus, that could be affecting this?

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Ed P.
Explorer | Level 3

Lusil,

All of my updates are up to date as far as I can determine.  In regard to using anti-virus and or other security software I have stopped them and then found the same problem with the revolving circle replacing the arrow cursor when I select a file or folder in the Dropbox folder within my Windows Explorer.  I hope you have another idea.  Thank you,

Ed P.

Ed P.
Explorer | Level 3

Lusil,

I didn't see a reply from you after my most recent reply to your request for information.  Do you have any other suggestions regarding my situation?

Thank you,

Ed P.

Lusil
Dropboxer
Thanks for trying that out, @Ed P. 

Could you let me know if you get the exact same behavior if you try select a file or folder after stopping the desktop app from running?

You can do that by clicking on the Dropbox icon (on your system tray), choosing your avatar icon, and selecting Quit/Exit.

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?